selling out

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
sight unseen, what would a good 19 mommas, and 15 babies bring? Some mommas go 1200 lbs or bigger, most calves go 6-8 months old, alot are 3 in 1s, a bull has been with them since Nov. I know alot of you will say you need to see them first, but just for fun, what do you think, got a buyer coming at the end of the week to look at them.

Mixed color, most cows will be between 5 and 7 years old, 6 will be 9 years old, all are in excellent body shape, all calves are healthy. Selling out to pay off some bills, take alittle stress off of me, gov. is loaning beginning ranchers and farmers $5,000 to start with at 2-3% interest, got two sons 10 and 17 that are elgible to get loan, 17 yr old has already done it once. we are going to start all over, they give you 7 yrs to pay back loan. On paper this looks like the right thing to do.

hard to say, but id do some serious homework... commercial pairs are bringing good money now.. you could be leaving money on the table

rowdyred":4o4ku2kj said:
sight unseen, what would a good 19 mommas, and 15 babies bring? Some mommas go 1200 lbs or bigger, most calves go 6-8 months old, alot are 3 in 1s, a bull has been with them since Nov. I know alot of you will say you need to see them first, but just for fun, what do you think, got a buyer coming at the end of the week to look at them.

Ask him $25,000 for them....he'll offer you $20.000. Meet somewhere in the middle.

off the top of my head id say $18,000 for that herd.an if i was buying id sell off the 6 mpnth old calves as i picked the herd up.

Just with the general info you gave, the slaughter price on the cows would be 13,680 and the feeder calf price would be 8400, for a total of 22,080. That is based on cows being 1200 lbs at 60 cents per pound avg. Today, most slaughter cows were 62-65 cents, so I might be a little light. Calves at 400 lbs and 1.40 avg would be 560 each, so at 6-8 months, the calves are probably bigger than 400, so I might be a little light there, also. I agree, I would take all those 6 month and older calves to the auction and then just sell the cows. Whoever tries to buy the group is going to plan on making money on those calves, it might as well be you that does that. Good luck in your decisions

Latest posts