Selling Out

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Maybe you have watched "Our Wyoming Life"

It is a story about a husband and wife that moved back to her home place to help run the ranch. They made a yeoman's try, and they have not completely given up, but it going to be very different.

hope they figure it out. i check out their videos from time to time. doesn't hold my attention the way Broncs and Donks does but Our Wyoming Life has some good stuff.

I have watched a few shows. I did notice the very new equipment but not many cows.
They do have a lot of new equipment. I don't know how long the ranch as been in operation.

It seems that had 160 cows.

I thought he said they kept 40 and sold 60. Maybe I heard wrong. 100 cows for 2 families make it almost impossible to survive. 160 head wouldn't be much better. Just my opinion, you understand.

Where is this ranch located in WY? Does anyone know? I thought he said he was sending the sale cattle to Buffalo. That's not the best place to sell bred cows, IMO. It's a pretty small yard.

I too, noticed all the new 'paint' for not having many cows. I thought the cows were on the thin side as well. That hay didn't look very good to me. And I noticed the water tank running over. Why don't they have a float in the tank? I do feel sorry for them but they have only been ranching for 6 years and there is a LOT to learn if you weren't raised in production agriculture.

As far as the mother retiring, this should have been best addressed when they came to the ranch 6 years ago. I'm really glad they aren't blaming her but do seem to understand her situation.

There is a place you can donate to them, should you desire to do so.

I thought early in the video he said that he and his wife owned 25% of the herd already, then bought 40 head from MIL. But by the end of the video he only had 40 cows left on the place. At any rate, I do feel bad for them, it has to be heart breaking and scary.

From what little I saw of one previous video and this one, I think they may have adjusted the herd number to a more realistic number. Now sell half the fancy corrals and buy some feed. Is all of Wyoming that bleak ?

My thoughts on the Wyoming Life's farm sale and closeout.....with Erin's mom retiring and taking 70% of the cattle to auction (while they're pregnant) and wanting to sell the entire ranch quickly. Erin's mom seems very "hardcore".... in my world the right thing would have been to sell her 70% of cattle after calving-weening. Then she could have requested acreage being surveyed and cut from one or both roadside ends of the farm to be sold...35% of the ranch to be sold off. And then she should have given 65% of the remaining farm to her Daughter as her inheritance. OR even better... sold the entire farm to her daughter and husband for 50 to 65 cents on the dollar. I'm calling it as i see it....Erin's mom is reckless and mean spirited. Leaving nothing to your daughter is selfish. After age 60, we all should be assisting and bumping up the welfare of our children's estates..as our life's are winding down. Erin's mom can't see the light of day....I'm sure that's not what her deceased husband intended for the ranch. Inheritance is key. Giving back the the next generation coming up after you. How can Erin's mom look her beautiful 3 young grandkids in their happy faces and sell off the entire farm? Sickening...i unsubbed-unsubscribed to Our Wyoming Life...it affected me that deeply.

My thoughts on the Wyoming Life's farm sale and closeout.....with Erin's mom retiring and taking 70% of the cattle to auction (while they're pregnant) and wanting to sell the entire ranch quickly. Erin's mom seems very "hardcore".... in my world the right thing would have been to sell her 70% of cattle after calving-weening. Then she could have requested acreage being surveyed and cut from one or both roadside ends of the farm to be sold...35% of the ranch to be sold off. And then she should have given 65% of the remaining farm to her Daughter as her inheritance. OR even better... sold the entire farm to her daughter and husband for 50 to 65 cents on the dollar. I'm calling it as i see it....Erin's mom is reckless and mean spirited. Leaving nothing to your daughter is selfish. After age 60, we all should be assisting and bumping up the welfare of our children's estates..as our life's are winding down. Erin's mom can't see the light of day....I'm sure that's not what her deceased husband intended for the ranch. Inheritance is key. Giving back the the next generation coming up after you. How can Erin's mom look her beautiful 3 young grandkids in their happy faces and sell off the entire farm? Sickening...i unsubbed-unsubscribed to Our Wyoming Life...it affected me that deeply.
Some grandparents just don't care. Last month I bought another 75 acres from my father. He was given that land free and clear before his dad passed away as a gift. He has just let it go to the wild-literally didn't do anything with it for years. I'm an active rancher now-bought my own place 1/4 mile from my dad. I've started with nothing and built a nice operation. When I approached dad about buying his place he reluctantly agreed on market price-initially he wanted more than market!

Family and land and farms can be a blessing or a curse. Guess I ended up with the curse. Dad really didn't care if I ended up with it or not. But it was 2/3 of my late grandfather's farm, and that meant a lot to me-so I was going to buy it either way.

So I can relate to this guy in some ways. Hopefully he can work something out.

Gilette, WY is in the northeast corner of WY close to Montana and South Dakota, I'm sure they're in a drought-stricken area and held the cows as long as they could to get the calves to weaning size. No more grass and hay and you have no choice but to sell out. They probably had too many cows to begin with and were depending on purchased inputs (hay and feed) to get them by each year. They're likely to be just as profitable with 40 cows as they were with 100 cows. I wish them luck and rain....
Rain is the input that you get for free and makes the biggest impact on your profit.

From what little I saw of one previous video and this one, I think they may have adjusted the herd number to a more realistic number. Now sell half the fancy corrals and buy some feed. Is all of Wyoming that bleak ?
No. And that place is grazed out which makes it look even worse. I can understand why you would ask that since that is what people are seeing about our state that watch this show. I hadn't seen it before and I must say it isn't a good representation of ranching in WY. JMHO.

Think about that
Yes, I'm saying that many operations can be just as profitable with fewer cows, when they are overstocked and have to purchase every bite of the hay and feed the cows consume you will not be profitable, especially in a drought-stricken area where hay is very expensive. This is what feedlots do for yearlings and it's usually a marginal business for them. Feedlots have a larger scale of operation and buying power, it wouldn't pencil out to do that with cows. With fewer cows, the cows will have a chance to graze for their food rather than having it brought to them.