Selling Out

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, I'm saying that many operations can be just as profitable with fewer cows, when they are overstocked and have to purchase every bite of the hay and feed the cows consume you will not be profitable, especially in a drought-stricken area where hay is very expensive. This is what feedlots do for yearlings and it's usually a marginal business for them. Feedlots have a larger scale of operation and buying power, it wouldn't pencil out to do that with cows. With fewer cows, the cows will have a chance to graze for their food rather than having it brought to them.
Sorry, I corrupted your message.

When I said think about it, I was implying they will not really be profitable either way.

Sorry, I corrupted your message.

When I said think about it, I was implying they will not really be profitable either way.
Yes, the reality is that you aren't going to make a living for yourself and raise a family with 40 cows or 100 cows, it's a labor of love. You have to enjoy doing it, you can make a little bit of money if you watch your expenses but unless you have a large operation with land that is already paid for, I don't see it as a living. Most people doing it have a full-time job for their living or they're retired.

Drought has hit them very hard up there. I saw a few previous episodes. Trucking hay in. Struggling to get everything fed. It was past the time to reduce the herd. It's hard. But it is what it is...

YouTube is a full time job in addition to the farming. They've got lots of different income streams from that place.

I agree on mama not selling the place. Pass that on to the next generation. At least she's leasing the rest to them with purchase option later. I hope they can make it work. Idk what's gonna happen to our place when we go. No one seems interested. I'm basically doing everything myself now. Occasionally someone will help sort a cow or two or something like that. It's a crying damn shame none of the next generation has the desire to do it. These folks are trying real hard. I struggle to say they "deserve it"
But in reality, I think they do. They have the WANT TO. The desire.

Otherwise it'll sell to some big outfit that'll make it work. The rich just get richer...
And I'm rambling again!

Drought has hit them very hard up there. I saw a few previous episodes. Trucking hay in. Struggling to get everything fed. It was past the time to reduce the herd. It's hard. But it is what it is...

YouTube is a full time job in addition to the farming. They've got lots of different income streams from that place.

I agree on mama not selling the place. Pass that on to the next generation. At least she's leasing the rest to them with purchase option later. I hope they can make it work. Idk what's gonna happen to our place when we go. No one seems interested. I'm basically doing everything myself now. Occasionally someone will help sort a cow or two or something like that. It's a crying damn shame none of the next generation has the desire to do it. These folks are trying real hard. I struggle to say they "deserve it"
But in reality, I think they do. They have the WANT TO. The desire.

Otherwise it'll sell to some big outfit that'll make it work. The rich just get richer...
And I'm rambling again!
There are plenty of the 'next generation' that want to do it. They just need a helping hand.
It's tough having to buy cows and buy land. There MUST be outside income. Even with us, we had nothing to start with, no one gave us anything except moral support, but that was almost 60 years ago. I did work in town for many years. We were able to lease a good place and stayed til it sold but it gave us a start. I think it is even harder now. Taking in lease cattle is a short term solution to a long-term problem but it can work if conditions are right. In WY, ND, MT if it is dry another year, many won't be able to keep operating. Very sad.

Or maybe Erin's mom has been footing the bill on improvements 🤷‍♀️
Exactly. Or maybe Erin has siblings that mom is also trying to look out for. Too many unknowns to make harsh judgements, just sad to see someone losing their dream despite what appears to be best efforts.

There's to many unknowns in this operation to pass judgment. I hear allot of people say they can't understand why parents won't just give a business or farm to the kids. One reason might be retirement. I have a nice 401k from the day job to fall back on but, all the wife has is her business. If she were to give it to the kids she wouldn't have anything to retire on. We plan on running the ranch as part of our retirement but there's no way I could afford just to give it away if I decided to to something different. Plus there's the taxes to deal with.

I'm definitely not happy they aren't doing well but they do have a big following of nonranching folks. Maybe this will be an eye opener to people that farming and ranching isn't an easy life with no worries and how difficult things can get in a hurry. A couple years of drought or high feed prices can take a BTO out, small timers without outside work will go much faster.

I think if you have kids or a piece of land you care about, succession planning is the hardest part of agriculture. They may be able to make a go of it if they have outside streams of income from youtube and endorsements/advertising/free infrastructure etc and Mom is amenable to creative solutions.

I have never watched this other than what was just posted but did anyone else notice the sign in the back at the 2:30 and 6:30 mark that said "foreclosure pending" or the other sign on the pickup that said "my banker warned us". Have those been in all the episodes?

I can't even imagine the struggle that they are in for trying to buy the ranch on 40 cows. But where there is a will there is a way. Maybe there is some type of land contract they could get into that would help with transitioning it over to them. Someone told me the other day that you can't just give your kid the farm anymore anyways, they said you have to get a 2 realtors to give a value and that it has to be close to the assessment?

I have never watched this other than what was just posted but did anyone else notice the sign in the back at the 2:30 and 6:30 mark that said "foreclosure pending" or the other sign on the pickup that said "my banker warned us". Have those been in all the episodes?

I can't even imagine the struggle that they are in for trying to buy the ranch on 40 cows. But where there is a will there is a way. Maybe there is some type of land contract they could get into that would help with transitioning it over to them. Someone told me the other day that you can't just give your kid the farm anymore anyways, they said you have to get a 2 realtors to give a value and that it has to be close to the assessment?
I noticed those signs as well. Never seem em b4, but I've only seen a few "episodes"

Joint tenancy deed is the easiest way to give to children. When one passes on, the other automatically becomes owner. I'm sure there's others that know far more than I do about it tho

We don't know if there are other siblings. Maybe the mother is trying to make sure each is taken care of. Maybe the other siblings are getting involved, worried about their fare share. Also if they are married the spouses could be mudding the water. There are a lot of unknowns here that I don't think they want to put out on the net.

I know with my parents estate my ex wife was always asking my dad what she was going to inherit, she thought she was owed something.

Also I think that most farms and ranches don't have a succession plan. With my parents estate there kinda was one, well until dad sold his commercial property in Colorado last month. Now I don't know what is going to happen. I know dad want me to have the farm, but he also want so make sure my sister is taken care of.

They seem like a nice family, but the amount of shiney equipment for 40 (or 160) cows seems waaaaay over the top. I carry about 40 cows and my infrastructure/equipment is about a quarter of what I see on their farm.
That nice shiny equipment was for the most part free or loaned from equipment manufacturers donating their equipment for media-sale views that Wyoming life performed. It was over the top....gorgeous stuff you wax three times a year.

That nice shiny equipment was for the most part free or loaned from equipment manufacturers donating their equipment for media-sale views that Wyoming life performed. It was over the top....gorgeous stuff you wax three times a year.
Is that a fact ? Seriously. I always wondered how these u tubers got anything done. The videos are only 30 mins or so long, but all the editting and other BS mush take up at least 4-8 hours per week, I'd guess....

I guess I'm just getting old but I have a really hard time taking anyone seriously that feels the need to pull out their phone and film everything or discuss their day on social media. I'm never sure if their insecure or just self important. Then again I've only got a few people that I'll even tell what I did today, everyone else gets the putting out mineral line. 😉

Not familiar with the show but on the discussion.
I think it's definitely important to set things up for your kids and fine to prop them up a little here and there along the way. That said don't guarantee anything.
Don't let them know they got it made. They need to work hard and accomplish as much as their capable of on their own before being handed what you accomplished.

Not familiar with the show but on the discussion.
I think it's definitely important to set things up for your kids and fine to prop them up a little here and there along the way. That said don't guarantee anything.
Don't let them know they got it made. They need to work hard and accomplish as much as their capable of on their own before being handed what you accomplished.
Add to that - There's nothing more vulnerable than a 20 year old kid. No credit, no wisdom and rarely realistic expectations. I've helped my step kids out when they fell on their face and they haven't repeated their mistakes but my help sure did soften the blow from mistakes they did make.

Latest posts