Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Debating if i should keep these two heifers I have one angus 8 month ones a 9 month baldie im stuck in between waiting until spring or selling mid November. I know they will get a lot heavier over the next few months I think around 500 ish maybe a little more . I was also thinking penning them and feeding them putting a bale of hay out for them until the middle of November then take them to sale.

That's a good question, have you looked at the market reports or anything to try and get a feel for what prices you'll bring when? I think the numbers normally drop between now and November (I might be wrong) so unless you can put on enough weight to offset the drop I wouldn't wait. I sell all my calves in the fall but that is mainly because I don't want to have to worry about feeding those calves enough to keep them growing while still making sure my bred cows have enough nutrition.

My neighbor goes the opposite route and is holding hers until the spring so they'll weigh more. I can see the logic there I just didn't think that fit as well for me.

I'm not sure if any of this really helps much, and I'd take it with a grain of salt because I'm still trying to figure stuff out myself ;)

jschoolcraft86":2uehyscy said:
That's a good question, have you looked at the market reports or anything to try and get a feel for what prices you'll bring when? I think the numbers normally drop between now and November (I might be wrong) so unless you can put on enough weight to offset the drop I wouldn't wait. I sell all my calves in the fall but that is mainly because I don't want to have to worry about feeding those calves enough to keep them growing while still making sure my bred cows have enough nutrition.

My neighbor goes the opposite route and is holding hers until the spring so they'll weigh more. I can see the logic there I just didn't think that fit as well for me.

I'm not sure if any of this really helps much, and I'd take it with a grain of salt because I'm still trying to figure stuff out myself ;)
Prices are a little low that's why I was debating but I didn't know exactly how much more weight the could put on by spring I'm back and forth so much on waiting or selling them next month.

Bfields30":1njkugc3 said:
Debating if i should keep these two heifers I have one angus 8 month ones a 9 month baldie im stuck in between waiting until spring or selling mid November. I know they will get a lot heavier over the next few months I think around 500 ish maybe a little more . I was also thinking penning them and feeding them putting a bale of hay out for them until the middle of November then take them to sale.
I hope they are heavier than that, even now..id hold em and breed em about May...

ALACOWMAN":2jc0dvq8 said:
Bfields30":2jc0dvq8 said:
I hope they are heavier than that, even now..id hold em and breed em about May...
I suck at eyeing them on weight they might be heavier but i try to guess the least possible i know I don't want to keep them but I know i could possibly breed them then sell them bred sure more money for sure

Our calf market is dropping. No value in keeping them to mid Nov in that case. Your market may differ.
Our market usually bounces up in Jan., but you will need to supplement with some grain to make that work well.

If you have the feed, you will do better in the spring. Somebody would love those to turn out in his fresh
grass. With a little feed you can get 2 lbs per day easily.

turklilley":rhuzwhu4 said:
If you have the feed, you will do better in the spring. Somebody would love those to turn out in his fresh
Thanks will do that

Bfields30":120ymc5e said:
turklilley":120ymc5e said:
Thanks will do that
Please remember to report back and tell us if it was worth your efforts.

1982vett":1t42igfg said:
Bfields30":1t42igfg said:
turklilley":1t42igfg said:
Thanks will do that
Most definitely will.

1982vett":3lkcg6fm said:
Bfields30":3lkcg6fm said:
turklilley":3lkcg6fm said:
Thanks will do that
So I'll be selling them next weekend nov 16-17 had them penned for the past week in half feeding them everyday hoping i get lucky on prices friend of mine told me 500s plus this past weekend brought 1.30-1.42 so hopefully i can do good

Bfields30":24o0ihak said:
1982vett":24o0ihak said:
Bfields30":24o0ihak said:
Thanks will do that
So I'll be selling them next weekend nov 16-17 had them penned for the past week in half feeding them everyday hoping i get lucky on prices friend of mine told me 500s plus this past weekend brought 1.30-1.42 so hopefully i can do good

How did they do? I hope they do better than prices are here!

sstterry":1dpiwsnc said:
Bfields30":1dpiwsnc said:
1982vett":1dpiwsnc said:

How did they do? I hope they do better than prices are here!
I'm taking tomorrow morning I will let you know

Why are you selling the week of a holiday? Most of the barns are closed this week because the calf order buyers are taking off for the holidays.

BC":3bmy3uqr said:
Why are you selling the week of a holiday? Most of the barns are closed this week because the calf order buyers are taking off for the holidays.
I was supposed to sell on Saturday but something came up so I took them
This morning

5 wts here today .85 - 1.06 but run was light and not really a true market test as most were just groups of 2-4 head
of oddballs and or not vaccinated, though there were occasional good ones in the mix.

Sulphur Springs Livestock quoted the following on heifers Monday:
300 to 400 lbs - $90 to $137.50 per cwt.
400 to 500 lbs - $90 to $139 per cwt.
Over 500 lbs - $75 to $127.50 per cwt.

Latest posts