selling open cows as a load?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle":71hqka1d said:
I talked with FPL today. The guy said based on how I described our cows that they would bring around $1.65-$1.75 dressed weight. Our cows should dress around 600 lbs. so that's roughly a $1000 a cow avg. They will all be ground to burger of course. We would have to pay the trucking which is $3.70 a loaded mile! That might be a deal breaker right there. It's around 380 miles from our farm to the plant which would be a $1400 fuel bill!!

Amortize that freight over the whole bunch. Sounds pretty cheap to me

28 bucks a cow shipping. Drops The 1.75 price to 1.62/lb. or in other words it costs you .13/ lb dressed weight to ship them.
I'd do it

hooknline":2c7n3obm said:
28 bucks a cow shipping. Drops The 1.75 price to 1.62/lb. or in other words it costs you .13/ lb dressed weight to ship them.
I'd do it
You can not get all 50 cows on the truck, more like 40 head (assuming they avg 1200). Without seeing the cows, I guess that they will average $86 to $87 per cwt. at the sale barn. Some individuals more and some less. If you have some high yielding cows, it might be worth trying to rail the cows. You might contact some of the other plants I sent you the contact information.

They can't be 1200# avg if he figured 600# yield.
I'd bet 1000# cows, and if that's the case he'd do better selling the lot
Even with the shipping then selling at the barn.
Anything he can't fit on the pot goes to
The barn but I'd bet he gets 45-48 at 1000# avg

Out of all 53 that are open and need to go I'd say the whole bunch avg. 1100-1200 some heavier and some lighter which makes the avg. The FPL guy said about 38-40 on the truck at that weight.

You should get somewhere around .85 per pound. I like to see my cows sell, if the bid is to low no sell it. The best part is when I leave the stockyard I have my cow money in my pocket, no waiting and no BS. Good Luck

hooknline":1c3gucc1 said:
They can't be 1200# avg if he figured 600# yield.
I'd bet 1000# cows, and if that's the case he'd do better selling the lot
Even with the shipping then selling at the barn.
Anything he can't fit on the pot goes to
The barn but I'd bet he gets 45-48 at 1000# avg
It takes a pretty good packer cow to yield 50% (BCS of 5 to 6) so if the cow's yielded 600# they would weigh around 1200. 40 head at 1200 lbs = 48000 lbs on the truck.

highgrit":27uoqnmx said:
You should get somewhere around .85 per pound. I like to see my cows sell, if the bid is to low no sell it. The best part is when I leave the stockyard I have my cow money in my pocket, no waiting and no BS. Good Luck

How does that work? If you take cows to the barn do you tell them they don't sell unless they hit a certain price? Do you still get charged commission?

Cattle power, we put a no sale on our bull and all my son did was tell the secretary our low bid. He went .12 more than we were asking. Had a cow come up a little lame and I just bid her up, and didn't have to pay a commission on her. Brought her back in 3 weeks and she about doubled her bid. Everybody's looking for a steal at the barn. And if your not there it's just tuff luck.

tncattle, the ones BC gave you the numbers to are the ones we deal with except the one in FL. Martin is the best here but they are closer to us also. Whatever you decide do it soon. The prices could change fast.

hooknline":2hb9xhms said:
I'd do it

Most sale barns charge about 4% commission. So on a cow that brings $1,000 that is $40. $28 frieght vs. $40 commission. That is a pretty easy choice.

Why do you have 50 plus cows that are open? That seems like you have a management issue going on or a bull that isn't doing his job-