selling open cows as a load?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We've got about 50-55 open cows we're going to sell and replace with bred cows that fit our calving schedule. We definitely have enough to make a load and I was wondering if that's a better plan to sell "cows"? Some would be good brood cows but some will not and would be slaughter cows. I was thinking if we put together 50K lbs. of them we could get more per pound. Who has done this or is it not worth it?

I don't see the benefit to any buyer like you would a uniform group of calves.
If anything I would be looking for a discount on a group of open cows.

hooknline":lkrz3tlj said:

I guess what I mean is if we're selling them all as slaughter cows then a load might bring more?

tncattle":hcm3zecp said:
hooknline":hcm3zecp said:

I guess what I mean is if we're selling them all as slaughter cows then a load might bring more?

Having them aged and selling the young cows and the short solids separate from the old broke mouth cows should bring you the best money.

Better hurry though. I wouldn't buy anything to breed much more than a week or two from now!

Yes, contact some of the slaughter houses and they will send the truck. You can sell them on the rail and get the highest price. With cows so high right now dont wait even a few days. Most every year in the east slaughter prices are the highest the second and third week of May.

kenny thomas":3qh32307 said:
Yes, contact some of the slaughter houses and they will send the truck. You can sell them on the rail and get the highest price. With cows so high right now dont wait even a few days. Most every year in the east slaughter prices are the highest the second and third week of May.

Kenny, I sent you a PM.

contact the packing houses in your area an see what their hot weight or hanging weight prices are.but remember that most weigh cows are selling for .60 to .90 cents a lb at the sale barn.

Can someone PM me some contact numbers, it doesn't seem to be an easy thing to find if you don't already have the contacts.

Talk to your local sale barn and ask them the name of the plants that kill butcher cows and where they are located. With that information you can find a contact number.

For kicks I googled USDA inspected slaughter houses in your state. I had a list of ten of them in seconds. Complete with phone numbers. Try it and call one. If they aren't in the business of buying cows by the load they will sure know who is. Be sure to call and get bids from more than one. Also I would look up slaughter plants in neighboring states.

hooknline":2vej2afv said:
with the price difference id be tempted to change my calving schedule

ALACOWMAN":1b2j6a8s said:
hooknline":1b2j6a8s said:
with the price difference id be tempted to change my calving schedule
No kidding. Grouped, verified, uniforms are bringing 2 dimes more here. Problem is you gotta have pots. Most can't meet that and even if you have friends on the same thinking it's hard to coordinate.

gonzo":7qnph7p9 said:
:2cents: gettin 2.25 hangin finished on grain n friends are tellin me I'm way to cheap. :2cents:

You are. What's your profit margin per animal?
At 425-450/ ton feed cost here I would take a loss at your price

gonzo":2zykemqu said:
:2cents: gettin 2.25 hangin finished on grain n friends are tellin me I'm way to cheap. :2cents:

We get $3 hangin and we have to pay a whole lot more for feed up here in the Mtns!

Here are some cow packers in your end of the world. They all buy cattle out of East Texas sale barns and catch back hauls.

Central Beef in Center Hill, FL ph (352) 793-3671

FPL in Augusta, GA ph (706) 722-2634

Martin Abattoir in Godwin, NC ph (910) 567-6102

Brown Packing in Gaffney, SC ph (864) 489-5723

Taylor Packing in Wyalusing, PA ph (570) 746-3000

I talked with FPL today. The guy said based on how I described our cows that they would bring around $1.65-$1.75 dressed weight. Our cows should dress around 600 lbs. so that's roughly a $1000 a cow avg. They will all be ground to burger of course. We would have to pay the trucking which is $3.70 a loaded mile! That might be a deal breaker right there. It's around 380 miles from our farm to the plant which would be a $1400 fuel bill!!

Latest posts