selling her

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":1w0hdrbd said:
I would find someone to put a bull on her and go from there.But JTBC your vet put the two straws in her at standing heat and then 12 hours later right?

Not sure what he did. I was at school. Mom dropped her off at the clinic, he synch'd her, said she had a good strong heat, and I would assume bred 12 hours after as is standard protocol. She was picked up a few days afterwards, and went about 32 days before coming back into heat.

dun":1mj07ne6 said:
Keren":1mj07ne6 said:
If she were mine, it would depend on how GOOD a heifer she is.

My opinion only, but it seems she's showed how good of a heifer she is. If she wont breed she's pretty much a light boned steer with an identity crisis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it Dun!

I understand the view you expressed.

However, I'm also aware that AI is not exactly a natural method of conception, and she may be perfectly fertile when run with a bull.

What is a lousy animal in one herd may be a very good animal in another herd.

milkmaid":pghvhtgz said:
So I have a heifer that's now 18 months old and open. She's very hard to catch in heat, but with a lot of watching and plenty of drugs she's been bred twice with sexed semen, once with two straws of unsexed semen... so she's had 3 chances. She probably weighs about 1100 or so... big black angus/hol cross heifer that I intended to turn into a nurse cow, but I haven't the time or the money to play around with an infertile heifer.

Question is, if she were yours, would you try to sell her private treaty and see if someone wants to run her with a bull and take a gamble on her... or run her through the auction and see what happens... or run her through the auction and tell them she ought to go to slaughter? what's she worth, anyway? I've already made up my mind she's growing wheels, but I'm not sure what's my best option here, and what would be the best thing to do in terms of my reputation. I suppose it's perfectly possible she'd settle first service to a bull, so I'm a little reluctant to tell someone that she's infertile.

Thoughts, comments?

For what it's worth: We had a beautiful heifer here several years ago. She had a good momma, daddy, grandmomma, etc., but she wouldn't settle to AI. A friend kept trying to buy here just because she liked her looks so much. The morning she was in heat after the third try at AI, we loaded up. On the way to the sale barn I called the friend. She was willing to take the chance on the heifer. We delivered her and her bull bred her while we were standing there. She settled to that breeding and has calved on time every year since, at least once to an AI breeding.

How much do you like her MM? If alot, try tossing her to a friend with a bull, if not, auction, OR find some one wanting beef, where you can make some more money back for a bit more work..................I feel your angst. :cboy:

Frankie":jffcz6px said:
milkmaid":jffcz6px said:
So I have a heifer that's now 18 months old and open. She's very hard to catch in heat, but with a lot of watching and plenty of drugs she's been bred twice with sexed semen, once with two straws of unsexed semen... so she's had 3 chances. She probably weighs about 1100 or so... big black angus/hol cross heifer that I intended to turn into a nurse cow, but I haven't the time or the money to play around with an infertile heifer.

Question is, if she were yours, would you try to sell her private treaty and see if someone wants to run her with a bull and take a gamble on her... or run her through the auction and see what happens... or run her through the auction and tell them she ought to go to slaughter? what's she worth, anyway? I've already made up my mind she's growing wheels, but I'm not sure what's my best option here, and what would be the best thing to do in terms of my reputation. I suppose it's perfectly possible she'd settle first service to a bull, so I'm a little reluctant to tell someone that she's infertile.

Thoughts, comments?

For what it's worth: We had a beautiful heifer here several years ago. She had a good momma, daddy, grandmomma, etc., but she wouldn't settle to AI. A friend kept trying to buy here just because she liked her looks so much. The morning she was in heat after the third try at AI, we loaded up. On the way to the sale barn I called the friend. She was willing to take the chance on the heifer. We delivered her and her bull bred her while we were standing there. She settled to that breeding and has calved on time every year since, at least once to an AI breeding.

I have a reg cow that I could never get to settle on AI, but settles first time everytime with the bull and even with my attempt to AI her she still has an ICP of 369 days.

This calf will be her last, a reg cow which want to decide to whom she wants to be bred is pretty much useless for me.

KNERSIE":qfuz8avp said:
Frankie":qfuz8avp said:
milkmaid":qfuz8avp said:

Thoughts, comments?

I have a reg cow that I could never get to settle on AI, but settles first time everytime with the bull and even with my attempt to AI her she still has an ICP of 369 days.

This calf will be her last, a reg cow which want to decide to whom she wants to be bred is pretty much useless for me.
We hada cow that I had a hard time settling. We'ld breed her 12 hours after observing her in standing heat and she would sometimes settle, most the time not. One year I bred her to a Polled Hereford bull ayt 12 hours and a Red Angus bull at 24 hours. She had a solid red calf. After that we would breed her 24 hours after I observed her standing and she settled first time everytime. Obviously she hadn;t read the books about heat cycles. Ended up getting rid of her as a 12 year old when she got arthiritis too bad to keep up with the herd.

Just in case y'all are curious, I ended up taking her to the auction yesterday morning.

Also, just in case y'all are curious... I evidently can't estimate weights on beef-influenced animals. :p She weighed 1215lbs at the sale barn after a 60 minute drive, sold at the upper end of heiferettes; 70/lb.

MM I can't tell weights either by just looking , I took a bred 6 yr to the sale barn ,big cow thought she weighed about 1400lbs.........WRONG 2195lbs.SO that's where all that feed went. :roll: :roll: