selling hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well now yall wont beleive this but its true.my buddy has been running an add taking orders for square bales.well he has sold 3000sq bales already.an had a guy call him wanting up to 52,000 sq bales of horse quality hay.said he would like to have 1000sq bales a week since he sales hay to 10 feedstores.an my buddy is prolly going to see how much he can bale an sell to the guy.he is baling his meadows now getting them ready for the 2nd cutting.would yall try to bale an sell that much hay.he is going to fertalize an spray his meadows.

We've got an outfit around here that could do that. Hay is what they do and all that they do. You should see them on top of a hay field. They look like a bunch of army worms taking over.

Told me that their record was 6000 bales in one day....

Till the end of Sept. there is 15 weeks of growing season left. 52000 divided by 15 = 3500 bales a week or 500 bales a day seven days a week. This is all under perfect growing coditions , adequate rain to product a cutting every 30 days and no rain to stop baling. How many acres of hay is he baling , sounds like an enormus project for one man, he is going to be one tired dude by the end of summer.

im not sure on the acres he will be baling.but i figure he will be baling close to 200acs or more.he helps his father in law do alot of custom baling.an here if everything goes right.we can cut hay into oct.an if he gets in to deep.ill oversee his hauling crew.an see that the hay gets put in the barns.

I must have read too fast. Already sold 3,000 bales and wanting to sell some 52,000 more from a 200 acre field. What the heck kind of grass you guys growing or smoking down there?

you did not read that wrong.an yes he has sold 3000sq bales.an he is going to try to bale as much of the 52,000 sq bales.most of his meadows are coastal.an if everything is right he can make 2 to 3 tons to an acre.the way its looking he will be making all sq bales this year.

Steve that was my thoughts until I put the pencil to it .52000 bales times 60 lbs. per bale =3,120,000 lbs divided by 200 acres = 15600 lbs. to acre divided by 2000 lbs.= 7.8 tons to acre or 260 -60 lb. bales to acre for season. 3 cuttings would be 87 bales to acre per cutting or 17400 total bales per cutting, can be done with proper rain and fertilizer. Must be in east Texas where they get more rain.

TexasBred":1m9s0l3r said:
COD sales only to the hay jockey.... ;-)

I agree. He best be careful. A friend of mine got caught up in big volume sales last year to a certain hay man. I knew the guy and I warned him but he got to counting his chickens before they hatched. He held up his end of the bargain but the only payment he got on the last 25,000 bales was broken promises. I don't care how big you are, this will hurt.

Jogeephus":248xxg30 said:
TexasBred":248xxg30 said:
COD sales only to the hay jockey.... ;-)

I agree. He best be careful. A friend of mine got caught up in big volume sales last year to a certain hay man. I knew the guy and I warned him but he got to counting his chickens before they hatched. He held up his end of the bargain but the only payment he got on the last 25,000 bales was broken promises. I don't care how big you are, this will hurt.

Very careful.... Around here, we run about a 50/50 ratio of those that pay good and those that don't pay at all. There are a few of them that I just laugh at when they want to buy hay from me. Those, I don't even trust to be in my fields, much less loading my hay.

yes not getting paid for the hay would set him back bigtime.an i know he had better get a check or cash before the hay leaves his place.

bigbull338":3qy6xe26 said:
yes not getting paid for the hay would set him back bigtime.an i know he had better get a check or cash before the hay leaves his place.
I would say cash. Checks can bounce.

sounds to me that if your in the hay business, this would be a dream job, how far will he have to haul it or are they hauling it themselves? whats he getting per square bale if you dont mind me asking and what do people in your area get for round bales?

yes it is a dream if he can get most of the hay baled for the guy.hay is in the fild for $3 to $3.50 a bale.they will pickup an haul the hay themselves.round bales are going for $25 to $50 a bale more or less depending on the qualty of the hay.if we sell hay out of the field we get $32 a bale for it.an thats sold to a friend if he wants it.

Latest posts