selling hay

Help Support CattleToday:

some cows dont like the rich green grass.or the taste of the grass.i have friends that spread litter on their pastures an meadows.an 1 friend feeds it to his cows in winter.i have some square bales in the barn.that has been fert with litter.an i feed it to calves that are penned in the corral.

bigbull338":z3nc8h98 said:
some cows dont like the rich green grass.or the taste of the grass.i have friends that spread litter on their pastures an meadows.an 1 friend feeds it to his cows in winter.i have some square bales in the barn.that has been fert with litter.an i feed it to calves that are penned in the corral.
those cow would be finding a new home in which to reside..sorta like saying got some mexicans that wont eat beans

I cut my first cutting memorial day week , got 430 bales off 6 acres,then pastured 7 calves on it for2 weeks. I am 6ft 3in and right now stand knee deep in bermuda,johnson grass,fescue, on the same 6 acres. This part of the country wouldnt be anything if it werent for chicken litter, as far as grazing or hay production. Ive got to roll this cutting as I have no more room for squares, got to build a barn this fall , got to find someone to bale SOON.

i can tell by the way the cows eat the hay.i had a guy tell me 1 time that his cows wouldnt eat my hay.that the hay was no good.an yes the hay was 3 or 4yrs old.i gave him 2 bales for free.he put it out for them.an they ate the hay down to the ground in the hay ring.he goes i thought that was junk hay.i goes you thought wrong thats good hay.he bought 25 bales that winter an his cows ate it like candy.

bigbull338":zsk3l597 said:
i can tell by the way the cows eat the hay.i had a guy tell me 1 time that his cows wouldnt eat my hay.that the hay was no good.an yes the hay was 3 or 4yrs old.i gave him 2 bales for free.he put it out for them.an they ate the hay down to the ground in the hay ring.he goes i thought that was junk hay.i goes you thought wrong thats good hay.he bought 25 bales that winter an his cows ate it like candy.
cattle can eat low protien poor quality hay down too the ground, then lick the ground and still be hungry. why do you think they do it,dont mean its good hay their just not getting satisfied you put a good fertilized bale out there that has all the protein they need in it. they will eat it at a slow steady pace have a satisfied appetite. same with grass.

you guys are a hoot.you talk about low input operations.but yet yall will spend thousands of dollars to fert your hay.an thats well an good.last year we fed 70 rolls of hay to 60 or so head.an had 20 bales of what we call junk hay left over.an i feed very little feed.the only cows that knows what feed is are the reg beefmasters.the stock cows dont want nothing todo with the feed.

bigbull338":m8xq3x9x said:
you guys are a hoot.you talk about low input operations.but yet yall will spend thousands of dollars to fert your hay.an thats well an good.last year we fed 70 rolls of hay to 60 or so head.an had 20 bales of what we call junk hay left over.an i feed very little feed.the only cows that knows what feed is are the reg beefmasters.the stock cows dont want nothing todo with the feed.
low input operations still have outputs, they still got too be geared toward. putting and keeping pounds on cattle, thats the bottom line and should be tops, there plenty of other areas to cut corners on..... trust me im as tight as a they come...

all the cows hold their weight an breed back pretty quick.an if they are underweight they gain the weight in 30 days on grass.we let the cows eat all the hay they want.what bothers me is ive got 1 bull running with 60 or so cows.but tghats the way im used to running bulls.an he is with the cows year round.this fall the calves will go to the sale at 700lbs or better.unless we wean the 400 to 600lb calves as well.

newrancher":3osz4id7 said:
I cut my first cutting memorial day week , got 430 bales off 6 acres,then pastured 7 calves on it for2 weeks. I am 6ft 3in and right now stand knee deep in bermuda,johnson grass,fescue, on the same 6 acres. This part of the country wouldnt be anything if it werent for chicken litter, as far as grazing or hay production. Ive got to roll this cutting as I have no more room for squares, got to build a barn this fall , got to find someone to bale SOON.

When it rains, it pours. When it don't, :help: . Started cutting some Memorial Day and got rained out. That was the last big 1/2 inch rain we have gotten. Doesn't help that July and August are usually the hot, dry months around here so I'm ready to jump ahead to October. Rained to the east again yesterday but nothing here. Started putting out some hay yesterday to take pressure off of the pastures. Don't want to get them as overgrazed as we did in 2006.

newrancher":usirpzr9 said:
ALACOWMAN":usirpzr9 said:
bigbull338":usirpzr9 said:
yes its good fert.but alot of cows wont eat hay that litter has been spread on.because it affects the taste of the hay.
never heard that one...
Me either
Unless it was spread not long before the hay was cut and some of the litter got rolled up with the grass ????? Don't make sense, but some people make bad decisions.