Selling hay vs buying breds?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Ok this may should have gone under cattle sales but i decided to put it here. Im trying to figure out what would be the best money maker for me, im looking at two options which is indicated in the title. Currently i have a farm leased that is fixing to go on the market. Its fenced but the existing fence needs work, ive put in some temporary stuff snd moved some of my cattle onto it after 1st cutting. One of the old pastures/hay fields is around 20 acres and turned out just over a 100 rolls of 4x5 on first cutting. Im kicking aroubd the option of putting in some temporary fence on it, stockpile it snd run cattle on it this winter. If i do i would look at buying some breds to put on it with my cattle as well. My next option is cut it again for hay and sell the hay. What would benefit me the most? I kinda like option 2 because of the fact i could lose it at anytime if farm sold. Also it seems id have less input costs in making hay i.e.fuel, wrap, etc vs temp fence, breds, and the other assicoated costs with cattle. Another factor is the market with cattle, we dont know what the future holds and by the time i calve the breds out and sell calves the prices could tank. Whats yalls thoughts and opinions?

Sell the hay. I heard an auction report from a couple of the local salebarns and the market had really dropped since last week. Not saying it will stay down or go lower, but the hay is pretty much a gauranteed return where the buying cows is more of a gamble. But I'm old and getting more cautious. Youngsters if they lose their butts still have time to recoup their losses

I would go for option two. The farm may not sell for 20 years, but my luck I would be out unloading the additional cows I bought and they would put up the "SOLD" sign on the farm, and I would be left scrambling to find another place or sell them.

Thanks for the input, thats kinda how ive been viewing it but just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something. I do not have a buyer lined up for the hay but i do not think it will be hard to sell, especially come this winter.

I normally say that as a cattleman you are throwing money away by selling hay, but in your case I would sell the hay, or if I had enough shed space keep it. Too insecure of a situation to bother with building fence and buying cows.

Funny sky you never know i may slide in and take one from you. Guess ill have to see how things go down.

I am siding with caution. If you arent sure if you will have the farm much longer, and you can do without the income for now, store the hay for next year.

Keeping the hay would be a possible option but i have nowhere to store it all so thats why im looking to sell.

we are overloaded with hay here in texas right now.you cant find any1 to buy hay.if you do they want to give $25 to $35 a roll for it.so if you can pick up some nice cows worth the money i would do that.

Latest posts