selling freezer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

V_Key":1olnuthr said:
Your pretty much right RAB - Let the Customer become the Farmer by buying "Live" then you work as Their Agent

That's how I do it. I sell them a live animal, or they are 'partners' with someone else in a live animal. I then am the 'agent' and 'transportation' who hauls the animal then brings back the product to the owner.

I use a facility that has a USDA inspector. This facility now charges sales tax on all processing.

Katherine

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Afterall, all the government will do is give it to some junkie who is going to end up increasing his habit and when the money isn't enough he is going to rob a store and shoot the sales clerk and possibly even a police officer. So the best thing to do is not collect the tax so you will save the life of an innocent clerk and a police officer. I mean, you don't want to be an accompliss to murder do you?

Finally someone who thinks like myself. Its best to keep our liberty whenever possible, no sense in inviting the big nosed bureaucrats in unless you have to.

mnmtranching

I'm having trouble understanding this, do these small family owned custom slaughter plants buy uninspected carcasses then grind the carcass for hamburger, and then sell the ground beef as retail meat?

Do these hamburger and other meats packages display the words not for sale, or do the contain they diplay the words inspected and passed?

Selling 1/4, 1/2 and whole is a good way to go, but if you have a market and you want to cash in, selling individual packs or 10 or 20 lb boxes is more desirable to most customers. If it is "natural" or "hormone, antibiotic free" or "local" or whatever name you stick on it, people will pay between 14.99 and 19.99/lb for ribeyes and strip steaks, and up to $5/lb for hamburger.
You need a USDA plant (or State inspected if the meat won't cross state lines). Each package needs a label with where it was processed and handling instructions.
If you sell it from home, you have to get a State guy to come and give you a permit saying that you have a clean, functioning freezer designated for meat storage. Of course, he'll also collect his fee.

Disclaimer: Check your own state laws.

OLF":1wwq1kag said:
Selling 1/4, 1/2 and whole is a good way to go, but if you have a market and you want to cash in, selling individual packs or 10 or 20 lb boxes is more desirable to most customers. If it is "natural" or "hormone, antibiotic free" or "local" or whatever name you stick on it, people will pay between 14.99 and 19.99/lb for ribeyes and strip steaks, and up to $5/lb for hamburger.
You need a USDA plant (or State inspected if the meat won't cross state lines). Each package needs a label with where it was processed and handling instructions.
If you sell it from home, you have to get a State guy to come and give you a permit saying that you have a clean, functioning freezer designated for meat storage. Of course, he'll also collect his fee.

Disclaimer: Check your own state laws.

That sounds about the same (as I understand it) here.

options":2695mb1t said:
mnmtranching

I'm having trouble understanding this, do these small family owned custom slaughter plants buy uninspected carcasses then grind the carcass for hamburger, and then sell the ground beef as retail meat?

Do these hamburger and other meats packages display the words not for sale, or do the contain they diplay the words inspected and passed?

no,no, sometimes, no, yes and no.

options":1r5mfiue said:
mnmtranching

Boy, this sounds like a setup question if I ever heard one.

I've sold calves as well. I have a fixed price that I charge per head, and guarantee a certain weight. I bring the calves to the butcher and arrange everything from that end, but once the animal arrives at the butcher, the customer takes over specifying how they want it cut, paying the butcher, picking up the meat, etc.

cypressfarms":169w1rir said:
options":169w1rir said:
mnmtranching

Boy, this sounds like a setup question if I ever heard one.

I've sold calves as well. I have a fixed price that I charge per head, and guarantee a certain weight. I bring the calves to the butcher and arrange everything from that end, but once the animal arrives at the butcher, the customer takes over specifying how they want it cut, paying the butcher, picking up the meat, etc.
I was thinking the SAME thing !!

options":29rsuizh said:
mnmtranching

The custom slaughter houses around here don't buy anything. Hence there name - custom slaughter house. They merely process the meat for you. Here, before the animal is killed it is inspected by a state inspector if it is brought to the facility. If not, the carcus is inspected prior to butchering and all meat is marked not for resale. If you wish to resale it then you have to pay a fee for another inspection.

We take a deposit up front, then they take ownership when the steer arrives at the processor. The remaining balance is per pound of hanging weight - processor calls us and buyer as soon as he weighs them, at which time the remaining payment is due. They pay processing when they pick up meat. Has worked fine.

taylorville":2q63ztzi said:
Running Arrow Bill":2q63ztzi said:
Unless the processor is a USDA certified processor, it and you cannot legally sell any PACKAGED meat.

Even if it is a certified processor, the buyer should pick it up AT the processor. Do not bring it home and then sell it from your freezer. If you do, you have "broken the chain of evidence" unless YOU have a USDA or State Health Dept inspection/approval for you to hold the meat (and liability insurance for same). With our rabid litigious society, to lose the farm over some stupid customer not cooking a piece of meat correct and getting E. Coli (or worse).

JMHO and acquired paranoia...lol.

Hey, can you tell me how this is illegal. I'm a farmer studying to be a lawyer, so I know it's a federal law. I'm trying to figure out what exactly makes it illegal. And, why is the "chain of evidence" important? Thanks for your help! -Milam

For starters................

Unless the processor is a USDA certified processor, it and you cannot legally sell any PACKAGED meat.

Even if it is a certified processor, the buyer should pick it up AT the processor. Do not bring it home and then sell it from your freezer. If you do, you have "broken the chain of evidence" unless YOU have a USDA or State Health Dept inspection/approval for you to hold the meat (and liability insurance for same). With our rabid litigious society, to lose the farm over some stupid customer not cooking a piece of meat correct and getting E. Coli (or worse).

Hey, can you tell me how this is illegal. I'm a farmer studying to be a lawyer, so I know it's a federal law. I'm trying to figure out what exactly makes it illegal. And, why is the "chain of evidence" important? Thanks for your help! -Milam
That is enough information for me. Should be for everyone else too.

That's a no-brainer even for a dumbass farm boy like me.

Latest posts