Selling directly to San Angelo meat packers

Help Support CattleToday:

Dunno about your question, but that rendering plant out on Bell St, San Angelo is about the foulest smelling thing I've ever been around or down wind of.

Caustic Burno":2rqs126s said:
That's Lone Star they are the largest buyer of kill cows in this area through the ring.
Never seen them buy feeders.

There's at least four..lone Star, Texas , Caviness and at least one more. We sell stocker/feeders direct to capital in schewertner.
I'm thinking i can do the same with packers in SA . I think maybe it was ranchman90 who was going that route.If I can't raise him here I should have his number. Just have to find it.

Think it was NolanCountyAg who sold them to Texas beef in San Angelo. IIRC think he said Texas was paying 20 cents more than Lone Star at that time. Am hearing there is some backlog at these plants so would be sure to coordinate with them for delivery date.

Yep, BC brought this up a while back too. Cow and bull packers:

Caviness Beef Packers in Hereford, TX
FPL Foods in Augusta, GA
Central Valley Meat in Hanford, CA
Lone Star Beef in San Angelo, TX
Central Beef in Center Hill, FL
Booker Pack in Booker, TX
Cargill Meat – has multiple locations
0 x

That was me that brought it up the other day. Idk if they are listed as Texas Packers or san angelo packing but its just down the road from lonestar and they were paying 20 cents more than lonestar 2 weeks ago. I'd give each a call and see what they are paying now. The one that just started back up said they were paying more than LS to try and build their client base back up. They were doing 350/day when I hauled the other day. Those prices may not last past the first of the year.

NolanCountyAG":3uv7ziut said:
That was me that brought it up the other day. Idk if they are listed as Texas Packers or san angelo packing but its just down the road from lonestar and they were paying 20 cents more than lonestar 2 weeks ago. I'd give each a call and see what they are paying now. The one that just started back up said they were paying more than LS to try and build their client base back up. They were doing 350/day when I hauled the other day. Those prices may not last past the first of the year.

How does it work? You can and they tell you when to show up? They weight them when you offload them and cut you a check?

Brute 23":2pxafhwz said:
NolanCountyAG":2pxafhwz said:

How does it work? You can and they tell you when to show up? They weight them when you offload them and cut you a check?

Thanks brute.
My question exactly.
At capital, they sort into like groups weigh and cut you a check. If you don't like it you can load em back up.
Do the packers take small loads. A dozen or so at a time?

I am a long ways from San Angelo and don't know how it works there. But I sold a load of cows direct to the kill plant this fall. I called them ahead and scheduled the delivery. They paid based on the dressed weight. I shipped on Tuesday. The cows were killed on Wednesday. The check was in Saturday's mail. I felt I did better than I would have done at the auction. I know a guy who hauls for people with a GN trailer. He takes in a load or two a week. Most of those loads come from multiple dairies mixed together.

Brute 23":zqrcqmhe said:
NolanCountyAG":zqrcqmhe said:

Brute, you get paid on dressed weight, not live.

Fine and dandy how do I know I am getting dressed weight for my calf.
I have worked several professions one was journeyman butcher that is a dead end job.
I can tell you from the kill floor to the cold room they all look the same.

Caustic Burno":3kdmm8da said:
I have worked several professions one was journeyman butcher that is a dead end job.

Were not talking about calves cb

callmefence":1odlsjop said:
Caustic Burno":1odlsjop said:

Were not talking about calves cb

Cow then,it is totally an honor system that's your cow.
Unless you see the slaughter and the weight to the cold room your clueless.
I know a lot of things haved changed but carcass were never weighed on the kill floor.

A pretty high percentage of the fat cattle sold in this country are sold based on hanging weight. Mostly on a formula basis which is based on grade and yield. When those steers are going through a plant that kills a thousand head a day they must have a pretty good method to track the cattle. I know people who retain ownership on hundreds of head and I have never heard them complain or worry about funny business. These people are good enough businessmen that I am certain they know how the system works and have faith in it.

••WARNING••
It's been 3.5 weeks since I've taken a load to Texas packers in Angelo. Still haven't received a check. I get the run around when i call down there. I'll show up when the office opens Monday. Here out I'll go back to lonestar. Sorry for the recommendation

NolanCountyAG":3sfbhmgk said:
••WARNING••
It's been 3.5 weeks since I've taken a load to Texas packers in Angelo. Still haven't received a check. I get the run around when i call down there. I'll show up when the office opens Monday. Here out I'll go back to lonestar. Sorry for the recommendation

Bingo and you have no clue what cattle they will pay you for.

What they said my check would be for, come out around $845/hd that's pretty good for old culls. If they can't get me a check on Monday I'll see if TSCRA could possibly do something.

NolanCountyAG":k0trqv9l said:
What they said my check would be for, come out around $845/hd that's pretty good for old culls. If they can't get me a check on Monday I'll see if TSCRA could possibly do something.

I believe I would see if I could get the Ranger to go with me.

Latest posts