Selling Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
What are good sites to advertise about 20 bred cows? Bullshop and Cattle Today already have my ads but we are in desperate need of grass or to get rid of a few head. The charolais herd is the first to go simply because they don't match everything else color wise... Great cows, nothing wrong with them other than color. Any ideas?

There's always the old favorite, local newpaper. Or talk to a sale barn that does stock cow sales, see if there is anything planned. The few stock cow sales I've atteneded around here the cows usually sell at a pretty decent price. Unless they're junk, then they still bring a whole lot more then I'ld pay

dun

we thought about taking them to a stock cow sale somewhere. They would be some high selling cows most likely... wouldn't really care to circulate our own brand back into the local herds though... could cause some problems.

Jake":3sso0ltl said:
What are good sites to advertise about 20 bred cows? Bullshop and Cattle Today already have my ads but we are in desperate need of grass or to get rid of a few head. The charolais herd is the first to go simply because they don't match everything else color wise... Great cows, nothing wrong with them other than color. Any ideas?

Are they registered Charolais? If so, you might contact the Association and see if there's a rep in your area that could help you out.

not even purebred. probably close to 2/3 charlois, some angus and a few with distant hereford. Great cows, nothing wrong with a one of them, just need grass and can't find any...

Jake":mx3g1kr9 said:
you wouldn't want them would ya dun? :lol:

Wouldn't have anything with charolais on the place. I know of a couple of folks that are buying cows right now, but the trucking costs would be a backbreaker. If I remember I'll check at our next bid opening (tuesday evening) and see if any one is interested. I don;t hold out much hope though. I would think that if you found a good reputation stock cow sale 50-60 miles away that you could do pretty well. But that's just thinking (hoping).

dun

Jake, do you have a Thrifty Nickel or American Classifieds in your area? I've had incredible luck selling the odd crossbred(s) with that paper. It's cheap to advertise in as well.

TheBullLady":36mn3kkb said:
Jake, do you have a Thrifty Nickel or American Classifieds in your area? I've had incredible luck selling the odd crossbred(s) with that paper. It's cheap to advertise in as well.

might have to check that out... thanks for the idea

if grass is the only reason your getting rid of them i know plenty of ranchers that all they do is have take-in cattle were they take care of them for a year calve them out and you pay them by the head that is a woderful deal for you.