Selling cattle in "bulk", or large numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboyfred_2006

Reaction score
Does anyone know any information on selling cattle to a buyer that is looking for several head of cattle? Me and my partner have talked about going to sells and auctions here and there, buying up the beefcattle at a low price just for reselling purposes. We want a buyer who has a quota for us to meet. Once quota has been met we will ship the cattle to desired location of the buyer. I would imagine a buyer like this would want to place an order once a month, or so many times a year perhaps. If anyone has any information regarding this, or any ideas, or if you know someone who is interested please reply to post, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nobody would recommend you that does not know you. Not knowing you would prevent me from giving you the name of anyone I know.
You may want to try using the free classifieds on here though.
Just the fact that you think you could get bussiness by posting something like this on the boards would prevent me from ever wanting to use you.

I'm curious how order buyers get started in the business
Seems that if you have previous orders for calves you're an "order buyer" If you buy them and hold them to sell them yourself you're a "jockey"

dun":15x0xse2 said:
I'm curious how order buyers get started in the business
Seems that if you have previous orders for calves you're an "order buyer" If you buy them and hold them to sell them yourself you're a "jockey"

And how does a "drover" fit into the above equations? Probably local variance, but guys who are drovers do all the above around here. Brokers are another term.

In any language they are guys pretty much universally known to be very knowledgeable about cattle, but also someone you keep an eye on.

cowboyfred_2006":1lu1jvn0 said:
Does anyone know any information on selling cattle to a buyer that is looking for several head of cattle? Me and my partner have talked about going to sells and auctions here and there, buying up the beefcattle at a low price just for reselling purposes. We want a buyer who has a quota for us to meet. Once quota has been met we will ship the cattle to desired location of the buyer. I would imagine a buyer like this would want to place an order once a month, or so many times a year perhaps. If anyone has any information regarding this, or any ideas, or if you know someone who is interested please reply to post, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

With your apparent lack of understanding on how cattle are marketed in this country. I figure you will find a way to be profitible at this venture somewhere around 2050 and 2 million dollars from now.

Go to the sale barn buy a couple calves and get some real world experience. What you are proposing is in direct competition with the people you have identified as your potential market.

cowboyfred_2006":2b4npm4s said:
Check with the fellas down at sam's they buy and sell in bulk all the time they should be able to give you pointers.

cowboyfred_2006":1jy980g1 said:

Contact large feeders that buy in bulk and see what they say. Then try packers. Might want to try large butchers. Any thinking out of the box will do. I think what you are trying to do is slide in between the high grocery store product price and the poor losing cattle rancher trying to adapt to the new climate patterns.

cowboyfred_2006":1uiruudv said:

try this on for size
www.sellerscattle.com

around here some guys buy the small bunches of feeders like 1, 2 or three close to the same weight. these will go at a cheaper price. they take them home and co-mingle them til they get a large bunch all close to the same weight & take them back to the sale

In my opinion a true broker is worth his salt. He knows #1 where to find or put together like groups of cattle like the big boys want to buy. #2 He can cut commission costs. #3 He is trusted enough to group your 5 head with someone elses 20 head to create a package. #4 If your cattle are better than sale barn cattle he will get you more for them. #5 His deals will be made with the original seelers standing behind the animals that they sell. #6 He takes the headache out of a purchase for the big city fat cats that are willing to pay more for a like set of cattle. The brokers that I deal with do not buy culls. only cattle that I am willing to stand behind and yes they pay more for them. The end buyer is also willing to pay more because we do stand behind them.

Most order buyers cut their teeth at the sale barns as employees of backgrounders and feeders.

My son is what I call a steer Jockey at the right time of the year, he covers the country looking for good show steers. He gets paid more because he know where to look and what to look for. He takes care of all health issues casturations, dehorn, worming, vaccinations as well as halter breaking. He gets repeat customers becuase he stands behind what he sells and provides service after the sale.

None of these positions is easy to come by. In my book it takes integrity and plenty of knowlege to know the who, what, where, when, how and why. It's not just something you can jump into without some background.

Latest posts