Selling calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Curious what sort of thoughts there is on when you sell your calves... Right at weaning, shortly after, year olds, or maintain ownership? What and why

Dave":3mrtvxt5 said:
after a good vaccination program

To me a good vaccination program is at least 4 weeks before sale....
Pyramid 4 or Bovishield 4
Alpha 7 or Fortess 7
One Shot or Once PMH

5 stars to TT for 401K option...nice...but not a deal breaker

Rniemann":3rsia8jd said:
Curious what sort of thoughts there is on when you sell your calves... Right at weaning, shortly after, year olds, or maintain ownership? What and why
I sell on Wednesday's...... :) Cause that's the day the local sale is....

Pull em off the cow when they are about 6 months old. Some a little earlier and some a little later. Sale is on Wednesday's so I pull them off the cow either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning and haul em in.

1982vett":3i1b4zez said:
Rniemann":3i1b4zez said:
I sell on Wednesday's...... :) Cause that's the day the local sale is....

Pull em off the cow when they are about 6 months old. Some a little earlier and some a little later. Sale is on Wednesday's so I pull them off the cow either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning and haul em in.

:nod:

TennesseeTuxedo":1v2yzl9s said:
Dang you Dave!

60 days post weaning with good vaccination program, 2 weeks a paid vacation, health insurance, and a 401K!

HA! Top that!

75 days post weaning with an excellent vaccination program, 4 weeks paid vacation, 9 paid holidays per year, full medical and dental insurance, 401K, and stock options!!!

Dave":xqk198kh said:
TennesseeTuxedo":xqk198kh said:
Dang you Dave!

60 days post weaning with good vaccination program, 2 weeks a paid vacation, health insurance, and a 401K!

HA! Top that!

75 days post weaning with an excellent vaccination program, 4 weeks paid vacation, 9 paid holidays per year, full medical and dental insurance, 401K, and stock options!!!

LOL!

UNCLE! You win! I'm sending all our calves to your place!

We sell both bawlers and weaned calves, sometimes running over and making true yearlings too but less so nowadays. Always, always, always 2 rounds of shots.
I buy lots of calves. Long weaned cattle are great. I don't mind a bawler that has 2 rounds of shots and prefer them to calf weaned less than 30 days. If a calf doesn't have two rounds of shots, we don't buy them, period. There may be some good cattle with basic vacc that get past us with this approach but since taking this position we have seen our incidence of true wrecks plummet. When it's prime time, we have way too many calves in way too many places to not insist on proactive health programs at their ranches of origin.

Just sold one last week. Right off the cow, born on Christmas day, 642 pounds, $2.10 per pound, and he was a bull! Can not complain about that check...

2 of my neighbor's calves leaving here next Saturday. (he drives them to my pen to load) Normally, he sells right off the cow, but he didn't realize the salebarns were all closed for the 4th. They'll lose some weight this week bawling and stressing, but we'll see what they do next Sat.Tried to make him an offer on the 1 heifer, but he balked. He may regret that...

How we sell depends on the market, grass, size....If we run out of grass, we wean and ship same day. If we have lots of grass, we wean and hold until the first of the year and we'll start selling by size per trailer load over days weeks months. If the price of heifers is low, we keep them. If the price is high, we sell. We never haul to the same sale at once but spread it out. But, if one seems to be doing better, the rest go to that sale. In other words, we just wing it..

Latest posts