selling calves/cow problems

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
When I sell my calves are there any specific problems I need to be particulary aware of with the cows? What should I expect the cows to do?
Thanks Ed

I wean and ship calves all at the same time. Mamas hang around the pen and moo for a couple of days but they get over it OK. I let them stay in the pasture next to the pen and they hang around the pen and look confused but it's better than moving them far away from the pen because they might try to break out to get back to the pen.
gabby

go ahead and move the calves to a good SOLID pen, such as the salebarn, but don't move the cows from where they last saw their calves, they will run the country looking for that calf if you move them somewhere else.

I sell the calves right off the cows. As was mentioned before, do NOT move the cows. The cows will go and stay and keep coming back to the last place they saw the calves. After a week they will forget the calves, but they will always try to get to the last place they saw their babies, which will be the corral where they were loaded.

I agree that it is easier to ship and wean at the same time but please let the calf grow up a bit. I hate to see sale barn weaning of one and two month old calves, so much development gets missed....unless you have a poor milker. Yeah, definately keep the cow in the same location where she last saw the calf...even still it can get real noisy for awhile...

susie-david, these calves that i am selling are 6-7 months old and weigh from 625-725 lbs right off the cow. The only ones that I see at the sale barn that are 1-2 months old are taken off of old cows or slaughter cows or heifers that are going to the feedlot

Thanks Stocky, I'm glad to hear from a quality producer...we have a friend that bought a pair at the sale barn some time back and wondered why the cow kept chasing the calf away...wasn't her's.
We wean around 600# also...

Latest posts