Selling Bred Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

jfranseen

Reaction score
What are is the price range for bred cows. Registered or not. In your areas. We are in a primarily dairy area so we don't have much for comparison. Although it is nice to find a retiring dairy man with full silos and a whole lot of cash after he sold his herd. Differentiate from purebreds or commercial.

At our sale barn on Friday. Good young (may calvers) brought 460 to$500, and they were black.

Feb calvers broke mouth but real good condition brought 400 to $465 also black.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

3waycross":ixfo9miq said:
At our sale barn on Friday. Good young (may calvers) brought 460 to$500, and they were black.

Feb calvers broke mouth but real good condition brought 400 to $465 also black.

Pretty sad if you ask me.
Hmmmmm, this may be a good year to keep the replacement heifers and build the numbers up.

I have bought several (30+) cows in the last 6 weeks and they ran from 460-800 for bred cows to calve in Feb-March. Each week they look cheap and each week they get cheaper. Who knows, next week they may be worst.
Bought 4 cow/calf pairs today, black, 2nd calf, off the farm for 800 each. Probably too high but don't have to worry about market sickness.

kenny thomas":atvditeu said:
I have bought several (30+) cows in the last 6 weeks and they ran from 460-800 for bred cows to calve in Feb-March. Each week they look cheap and each week they get cheaper. Who knows, next week they may be worst.
Bought 4 cow/calf pairs today, black, 2nd calf, off the farm for 800 each. Probably too high but don't have to worry about market sickness.
Kenny-

Think about this: Price is one factor. Quality of Phenotype and Genotype are the factors which will determine your FUTURE business foundation. Don't let the dollar $ign$ blind you to the IMPORTANT factors which will establish how you succeed, or fail, in your future years. This economy will NOT stay this way forever, and it is important that breeders keep their focus on the important factors which will ultimately influence your herd basic foundation genetics.

DOC HARRIS

Doc, I agree with your thoughts. These are good to better cows that will be resold in the spring unless the market gets a lot worse. Most are sold on the farm to people wanting a few cows and don't want to go to the market to get them.

I sold a trailer load of black heifers Saturday for $875 each. I bought back a load of Char X short term cows for $0.42 per pound.

Sold mouth bred red cows were going for $550 to $625 at the same sale. Blacks were $25 to $50 higher.

Folks here are asking $675 to 700 off the farm for average quality cows.

I sold two average bred Herf cows for $725 and bought two exceptional herd building bred cows for $900. That's pretty well the average. I know a neighbour that bought a potload (55) of red and blaze face simm bred heifers for $1100 delivered....I think that's a little high. I wouldn't be paying over $1000 for a great bred registered cow right now..or over $900 for a heifer....and a lot of guys think I am out of my mind to be willing to pay that much. :cowboy:

Latest posts