selling brand

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
There was an ad in the shopper for a brand for sale. $4,000. How can you ask that much to transfer a brand? I have one I haven't used for 6 years. Cost $50 every 5 years to renew. Thinking I can make big $. Anyone explain this?

If they had the correct price on this, it could possibly be an outfit selling a "popular" brand. I know that one of the old Gert brands sold for somewhere around that this spring. I'd call and see if it was a legit price or if it was from a well-known ranch that had sold out some time ago.

joe":1xg7absu said:
There was an ad in the shopper for a brand for sale. $4,000. How can you ask that much to transfer a brand? I have one I haven't used for 6 years. Cost $50 every 5 years to renew. Thinking I can make big $. Anyone explain this?

Yep- they do it around here all the time...The papers will have an ad for a brand for sale- or they'll advertise and sell it thru the stockyards auction...

New "one iron" brands are impossible to get- Good "two iron"- especially ones that don't blotch and are good for several locations on an animal are hard to get too....
Sometimes if a ranch has the brand for the left rib- if the same brand on the right rib or the left hip comes up they'll want to buy it so they own the multiple sites...

Oldtimer":1edbm29n said:
joe":1edbm29n said:

Yep- they do it around here all the time...The papers will have an ad for a brand for sale- or they'll advertise and sell it thru the stockyards auction...

New "one iron" brands are impossible to get- Good "two iron"- especially ones that don't blotch and are good for several locations on an animal are hard to get too....
Sometimes if a ranch has the brand for the left rib- if the same brand on the right rib or the left hip comes up they'll want to buy it so they own the multiple sites...

OT has it right and I'll try to add a little clarification. Many of the western states are "mandatory" brand states and a registered brand is for the whole state requiring quite a large number of brands in order for each cattleman to have a brand different from all others in the state, thus multiple iron brands are not uncommon, just less popular. As OT explained, there is good demand for "one iron" and some "2 iron" brands.

This is not such an issue in states that don't have mandantory brand laws or in states where brands are registered by county. This allows for more than 1 person to register the same brand as long as they are using it in different counties.

Latest posts