Selling a stag

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Ethical question: Discovered a steer is actually a stag during weaning. It's not visible but you can definitely feel the nut. Elected not to perform surgery to castrate because of the concern of too much stress coupled with weaning.

I always provide all health information to the Sale Barn prior to taking any of my cattle in but a lot of locals have told me to just take him in, don't point it out, buyers will automatically either know or suspect because he looks a little bullish. Maybe it's just me but that doesn't seem right.

For those of you that buy from Sale Barns, would you know &/or think it should be disclosed? Or do you agree with caveat emptor?

I would disclose it but that's just me. You would think caveat emptor would come in but I've seen some buyers play some trick things lately at sales that I would rather be safe than sorry with.

TCRanch":3npbw7uf said:
Ethical question: Discovered a steer is actually a stag during weaning. It's not visible but you can definitely feel the nut. Elected not to perform surgery to castrate because of the concern of too much stress coupled with weaning.

I always provide all health information to the Sale Barn prior to taking any of my cattle in but a lot of locals have told me to just take him in, don't point it out, buyers will automatically either know or suspect because he looks a little bullish. Maybe it's just me but that doesn't seem right.

For those of you that buy from Sale Barns, would you know &/or think it should be disclosed? Or do you agree with caveat emptor?

As for what you want to do its completely up to the person. The barn is definitely CAVEAT EMPTOR

I believe that anyone who buys an animal at the auction barn and gets upset when it turns out to not be perfect shouldn't be allowed out of the house alone with a checkbook, but that's just me (unless the seller or barn directly lied about it). Now that I've said that, you have to decide what you feel okay about. For example, it doesn't bother me a bit to have a cow palpated at the barn if she's a slow breeder, or her bag isn't as nice as I'd like, but if she's prolapsed and sewed up I'll tell them she has to go to slaughter. And I'm so honest that when I've accidentally gotten two newspapers out of the machine and not noticed it until later I've put in extra money the next day.

In your case I'd send it and not worry about it.

Rafter S":2dw2r567 said:
I believe that anyone who buys an animal at the auction barn and gets upset when it turns out to not be perfect shouldn't be allowed out of the house alone with a checkbook, but that's just me (unless the seller or barn directly lied about it). Now that I've said that, you have to decide what you feel okay about. For example, it doesn't bother me a bit to have a cow palpated at the barn if she's a slow breeder, or her bag isn't as nice as I'd like, but if she's prolapsed and sewed up I'll tell them she has to go to slaughter. And I'm so honest that when I've accidentally gotten two newspapers out of the machine and not noticed it until later I've put in extra money the next day.

In your case I'd send it and not worry about it.
Yup! And I always tell them if it's a slaughter cow; even if she looks great, there's a reason I'm selling her. Thanks for the input.

It's buyers beware at a sale barn, IMO. Those same buyers will screw you over for any reason possible. He'll bring what he's worth, and not a dime more.

They do expect a certain amount of stags. That is the reason they will pay a little more for knife cut calves over banded. Not a lot more but they are pretty certain that it is not an issue with knife cut.

I would like to remind you that not everyone at the sale barn is an old hand. sale barns do attract the new beginners also. I think that if they get a raw deal a few times or feel deceived than they may quit or worse share their stories of misfortune and mistreatment with others.

Dave":8zber9se said:
They do expect a certain amount of stags. That is the reason they will pay a little more for knife cut calves over banded. Not a lot more but they are pretty certain that it is not an issue with knife cut.
Dave don't you remember that there is not a buyer in the US that can tell a banded calf from a knife cut one. We have been told that from the expert.

kenny thomas":2kw61bxx said:
Dave":2kw61bxx said:
Dave don't you remember that there is not a buyer in the US that can tell a banded calf from a knife cut one. We have been told that from the expert.

Opps, I forgot.

TCRanch":ewc0pztl said:
Mistreatment, BrandX? Or perhaps they will use it as a learning experience?

I'm going with disclosure and what they do with that information is up to them.

I think it is what ever you are comfortable with TC. The monetary difference in the long run will probably be very little difference when averaged out and your reputation stays intact.

Ken

Ouch! I did get what he was worth and not a dime more. Weaned just over a month, 2 rounds of shots, 715 lbs at 7 months for 1.31 per. Sale Barn posted results for 700 - 800 lb steers was 1.40 - 1.62. "Steers" being the operative word. :roll:

TC-you did the right thing. You can walk back into that barn without any fear of someone coming at you-pointing their finger and screaming 'you know what you did to me?' You took a little less for him but were totally honest. That will pay big in the future. I still remember the calves I've bought (and who the sellers were) that had a nut up and no one was honest enough to care. You have my respect for stating his problem. And, it was way better to claim it up front than to be confronted with it during the sale.

If you consider what the vet bill is to get that other ''nut'' out, they still paid a fair price. I think you did the proper thing and should not second guess your decision!

A razor knife and a couple minutes in the chute would have paid pretty good. I know a lot of people are comfortable doing it but it is not that difficult. If I can do it ..... well it is not rocket surgery.

Dave":3prkte6k said:
A razor knife and a couple minutes in the chute would have paid pretty good. I know a lot of people are comfortable doing it but it is not that difficult. If I can do it ..... well it is not rocket surgery.
Only reason we didn't is because of weaning at the same time but my crew does it all the time so I didn't consider the additional expenses of a vet. But I wouldn't be comfortable doing it myself!

BrandX":3717tl2j said:
I would like to remind you that not everyone at the sale barn is an old hand. sale barns do attract the new beginners also. I think that if they get a raw deal a few times or feel deceived than they may quit or worse share their stories of misfortune and mistreatment with others.
anything and everything goes through a sale barn, that's not the place for someone to go to learn cattle.
I would not say he is a steer and I would not say he is a bull he would sale ''as is & where is''. any buyer buying from a regular sale knows they are buying sale barn cattle. Special sales and from home that is different they are suppose to bring more and be better and I would not sell him like that without telling

TCRanch":e8wjxxlk said:

Lesson learned... don't question what you don't want answers to. Hands off after you cut them so you have deniability. :D

Latest posts