Selling a slaughter bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Would this week be a bad time to sell a slaughter bull? The closest sale to me is Tuesday and was wondering how the holiday might affect price. Would it be better to wait until the first sale of December?

I don't know about your location but the week of gun season is a BAD time to sell cattle. There is half the # of buyers at the sale and prices plumit. But our sale is pretty small too.

tom4018 can you let us know if sale was down or up?

Sold bull this past Tuesday, 2180 lbs. for .47, they were down according to a friend that was at most of the local sales. Slightly disappointed.

dj":x9inazep said:
what about cow/calf sales on Dec 20? wait till holidays are over? like say around apr/may?
Wait till after the holidays are over if you are wanting to sell. If buying, buy before holidays.

Tom, with all the access we have to market news these days, there's never a reason to be surprised at what something brings. I would encourage you to do enough research to know in advance what your cattle will bring. You never have to go to a sale. You can do it all from the comfort of home or office.

Here is a link to the Kentucky Weekly Livestock Summary:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/SV_LS145.txt

This link will carry you to the Market News Livestock Report index. Just scroll down to Kentucky, and find a market near you:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsmnpubs/Live.htm

Texan":1pzfbrv5 said:
Tom, with all the access we have to market news these days, there's never a reason to be surprised at what something brings. I would encourage you to do enough research to know in advance what your cattle will bring. You never have to go to a sale. You can do it all from the comfort of home or office.

Here is a link to the Kentucky Weekly Livestock Summary:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/SV_LS145.txt

This link will carry you to the Market News Livestock Report index. Just scroll down to Kentucky, and find a market near you:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsmnpubs/Live.htm

Been there done that. Bulls did not bring what was reported at our local sales. Maybe 2 or 3 brought the reported price but the others went lower. I look at the reports all the time, feel that our tax money is not used properly because market owners influence them.

tom4018":qnhn7vpg said:
Been there done that. Bulls did not bring what was reported at our local sales. Maybe 2 or 3 brought the reported price but the others went lower.
Many times, when slaughter bulls don't bring what the market quotes stated, you can trace it back to excess fill. Not always, but in many cases. If you want a packer bull to bring top dollar, hold him off hay and water beginning the night before sale. That's what I do with mine.

tom4018":2clcg18b said:
I look at the reports all the time, feel that our tax money is not used properly because market owners influence them.
How do they do that?

Texan":3r56l317 said:
tom4018":3r56l317 said:
I look at the reports all the time, feel that our tax money is not used properly because market owners influence them.
How do they do that?
Texan, I would like to know that too.

Texan":3nfppndl said:
tom4018":3nfppndl said:
Been there done that. Bulls did not bring what was reported at our local sales. Maybe 2 or 3 brought the reported price but the others went lower.
Many times, when slaughter bulls don't bring what the market quotes stated, you can trace it back to excess fill. Not always, but in many cases. If you want a packer bull to bring top dollar, hold him off hay and water beginning the night before sale. That's what I do with mine.
Or..... more commonly at my barn, lack of muscle. Thin necked bulls with no masculinity won't touch the top of the market.

ollie'":1u6e792p said:
Or..... more commonly at my barn, lack of muscle. Thin necked bulls with no masculinity won't touch the top of the market.
Right, ollie. Either way, it comes down to the simple fact that poor yield will never top a market.

Have heard one of the managers state he was friends with the reporter. Several peolpe in this area feel the reports are not correct.

Most of the auction owners and/or mgrs. are friends with the state and/or USDA reporters. No big deal in that.

Latest posts