Selling a Bull!

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie May

Reaction score
Howdy,
We have a Black Angus bull that we are going to have to sell. What is the best way to sell him? I don't want to just sell him through the stockyards. and what does a fullblood black angus cost around? He doesn't have papers but is fullblood. He's about 3 or 4 years old. we've bred him to our hereford cows and throws good black baldies. Any advice?
Thank you!
Ellie May

id say an angus bull that age would be worth $1000 to $1200 he has 3 or 4yrs of good breedinng left in him if you sale him at the sale tell them he can go back to the farm for breeding scott

you could advertise him in a paper or 2 in your area

jt

Ellie May":3atze1pk said:
Howdy,
We have a Black Angus bull that we are going to have to sell. What is the best way to sell him? I don't want to just sell him through the stockyards. and what does a fullblood black angus cost around? He doesn't have papers but is fullblood. He's about 3 or 4 years old. we've bred him to our hereford cows and throws good black baldies. Any advice?
Thank you!
Ellie May

How do you know he's an Angus without papers?

guest25":qycdkkq1 said:
Frankie":qycdkkq1 said:
Ellie May":qycdkkq1 said:
Howdy,
Thank you!
Ellie May

why frankie i am amazed at you of all folks if the hide is black then he has to be angus . isnt that what you and cab preach . i know for a fact that i have seen you angus people say that if it was black then it had to be angus. yep thats what iv'e read right here on cattle today only angus has made any other animal black.

No, "25", you're wrong again. If it's black, it has Angus in it, but not necessarily pure Angus. Ellie May says the bull is fullblood Angus and I'm curious to know how she knows that without papers.

Ellie May":1g29gs6f said:
Howdy,
Thank you!
Ellie May

I talked to a friend this morning. They had bought a New Design 036 bull calf from us five years ago and grew him out. They bought another bull last year from us and needed to sell the first one. She sold him, a five year old Angus bull with papers, for $1600. She was pleased and the new owner seemed to be, too. Prices for Angus bulls around here are up from last year.

Frankie":2yk2vk2j said:
guest25":2yk2vk2j said:
Frankie":2yk2vk2j said:
Ellie May":2yk2vk2j said:
Howdy,
Thank you!
Ellie May

why frankie i am amazed at you of all folks if the hide is black then he has to be angus . isnt that what you and cab preach . i know for a fact that i have seen you angus people say that if it was black then it had to be angus. yep thats what iv'e read right here on cattle today only angus has made any other animal black.

No, "25", you're wrong again. If it's black, it has Angus in it, but not necessarily pure Angus. Ellie May says the bull is fullblood Angus and I'm curious to know how she knows that without papers.

Frankie, "25" does have a point. If the CAB program will accept black-hided cattle as angus then how credible is the program?
I personally have sent 1/2 char X 1/2 brangus to the rail and they went for CAB. Go figure.

Howdy,

I would suggest you look at ways on contacting other ranches. Post a note up at the livestock yard, talk to your extension agent. Let previous buyers know you have the herd sire for sale. Talk to cattle associations around. American Angus Association even has a Bull Listing Service =BLS for Angus influenced bulls. A sale from the farm is called a private treaty.

I just finished selling my herd sire. I started posting and talking it up, the next day around 2pm another cattleman knew about him, and brought a friend over. They looked him over, looked at the offspring, the bull calves and the heifer calves. Sat down, and said he'll take him. done.

Angus breeding bulls have a usual service life of around 10-12 years. My herd sire I just sold was 4.5 years old. I collected semen on him before I sold him too. I want to use him on any heifer that is not from him in the future. He was just too good to not have him around :)

Frankie":3dkes1gi said:
guest25":3dkes1gi said:
Frankie":3dkes1gi said:
Ellie May":3dkes1gi said:
Howdy,
Thank you!
Ellie May

"If you have papers on that bull it proves that he's at least part Angus, but he might have some Holstein and Chianina in him too"

MikeC":25biijiv said:
Frankie, "25" does have a point. If the CAB program will accept black-hided cattle as angus then how credible is the program?
I personally have sent 1/2 char X 1/2 brangus to the rail and they went for CAB. Go figure.

Well, Mike, I'm glad you asked that question. How credible is the CAB program?

1. It's credible enough to add over $300 to the price of Angus bulls this last year.
2. It's credible enough that commercial producers around the US are buying more Angus bulls every year than the previous year. A recent CattleFax survey says most of them plan to buy another Angus bull when they need a bull. They buy Angus bulls because they know they'll get more money for black calves than similar calves of another color.
3. It's credible enough that the feedlots will pay more for black calves than other color calves of similar quality.
4. It's credible enough that the packers have set aside grading and processing lines specifically for cattle that meet the CAB visual requirements.
5. It's credible enough that the USDA monitors the packers to be sure that no meat is stamped CAB that doesn't meet the USDA-approved specifications
6. It's credible enough that thousands of businesses pay a licensing fee to CAB, LLC, in order to advertise and handle CAB product. Thousands more use CAB, without the license. They can't advertise that they sell CAB, but they trust the quality.
7. It's credible enough that consumers bought half a billion pounds of CAB last year, at premium prices.
8. It's credible enough that 80% of consumers in a KS State poll say they recognize and trust the CAB logo.
9. It's credible enough that most other beef breeds have added Angus to their breed's bloodlines in order to take advantage of CAB.
10. It's credible enough that you're using black cows in your operation and apparently didn't send that check back for the CAB premium you received. :p

Thanks for asking....

Caustic Burno":20u8oabh said:
If you have papers on that bull it proves that he's at least part Angus, but he might have some Holstein and Chianina in him too"

Ah, Caustic, let's see some proof to back up that claim? Or are you as full of hot air as "25"?

Frankie

There is one thing to add to your credible list.

Almost all other breeds are turning their herds (meaning breed herd) BLACK.

guest25":349cfuz5 said:
frankie must have been asleep when he wrote the above and should have 1st eluded to the fact there are no fullblood angus anywhere maybe he meant to say pure bred but then again who knows it depends on the angus day he is having or just what facts he wants to agree with.

There are thousands of registered Angus cattle in the US. Every cow on my place is sired by a bull that has been bloodtyped (or DNA tested) to assure they're pure Angus and every calf born on the place is sired by a bull that also is tested for breed purity.

When you post some "facts," with references for the "facts", we can certainly discuss them. So far, you haven't been able to back up a single claim you've put out on this board. You're a breed basher, pure and simple. You've chosen to bash Angus probably because your breed of choice is a loser and you want to blame someone/something else for your bad choice.

lastly frankie if you think the angus have not been influenced by the holsteins for milk and the chiania for size in the past. and that all cattle that are black are black because of angus influence you are bad wrong. i bet you still must have them little bitty aberdeen angus.

"lastly"? Hopefully you mean that. If you can provide proof that Angus have been influenced by holsteins and Chi, please do so. Otherwise it's just hot air and jealousy. The cattle herd in the US has been turned black because of Angus influence. Ask Limi, Simmentals, Maine breeders, how they got their cattle black. Ask the Red Angus people the original genetic pool for their breed.

and please if someone comes by selling the brooklyn bridge you best run boy run or you might get your pockets picked again.

If you're selling a bridge in AZ, my suggestion is to take the offer to "25". There's a gullible individual. I'd like to know what breed he's bought into.

and for the proof of the above pertaining to holstiens , chiania and other influence just ask an honest angus breeder they will be the first to tell you the truth.

I am an honest Angus breeder and I say you're full of bull.

Caustic Burno":21q43bam said:
Frankie":21q43bam said:
Caustic Burno":21q43bam said:
If you have papers on that bull it proves that he's at least part Angus, but he might have some Holstein and Chianina in him too"

Ah, Caustic, let's see some proof to back up that claim? Or are you as full of hot air as "25"?

Cab Propoganda
http://www.authentichistory.com/images/ ... _Up_1.html

My internet hookup is too slow to spend time on this. But it looked like a cartoon? About what one would expect from Caustic.... :lol:

OK folks. I don't have a dog in this fight (other then it is comical to see Frankie's panties get all in a wad).

Anyhow, I've kinda been keeping up with the she said, caustic said, tapeworm sometimes has diarria of the mouth, he said Angus stuff here lately.

The conclusion I've come to is this. The angus folk think they are superior. The Hereford folk arn't jealous of the angus because if they wanted black hided cattle they would have started out with an angus. Hereford folk are content with the red herefords, except texbullshit. And caustic just likes to get Frankie's goat. And because she ties the goat out for everyone to throw stones at It's pretty easy. So maybe frankie could tether the goat in the barn for a bit. The angus/black hide thing is bout getting as tiresom as the boarder issues.

So what ya'll say? Agree to dissagree...just for a few days?
Frankie might be running low on info to cut and paste, better give her time to re-stock!! :lol:

All of you are wasting your time arguing about Hereford and Angus. The number 1 breed worldwide is Brahman and it will continue to grow in numbers. With global warming you may all be adding Brahman blood to your cattle. And by the way, Brahmans do have a black hide.

Muratic":2y91kurq said:
OK folks. I don't have a dog in this fight (other then it is comical to see Frankie's panties get all in a wad).

Always glad to enertain.

I've kinda been keeping up with the she said, caustic said, tapeworm sometimes has diarria of the mouth, he said Angus stuff here lately.

Not much going on at your place lately, I guess?

The conclusion I've come to is this. The angus folk think they are superior.

Superor to what? To breeders who won't take the time to identify the best bulls in their breed and use them in an AI program? To breeders who use show bulls to decide on their breeding program? Yeah, I'll cop to feeling superior to those breeders. To those other breeders working hard to improve the breed, my hat's off to you. Truthfully, I don't see any other breed working as hard as Angus breeders to produce as many bulls that will make calves that work in todays beef industry. Maybe I'm wrong; won't be the first time. And unlike several people on this board, I can admit when I'm wrong.

The Hereford folk arn't jealous of the angus because if they wanted black hided cattle they would have started out with an angus. Hereford folk are content with the red herefords, except texbullshit. And caustic just likes to get Frankie's goat. And because she ties the goat out for everyone to throw stones at It's pretty easy. So maybe frankie could tether the goat in the barn for a bit. The angus/black hide thing is bout getting as tiresom as the boarder issues.

Some Hereford people are jealous of Angus success. I know it; you know it. They're not jealous of black hide, they're jealous of the prices that Angus breeders get for their bulls, while they struggle to sell their bulls and break even. Is "25" a Hereford breeder? What a shame for you Hereford guys. Why should I put the goat in the barn? Every time someone puts an inaccurate, insulting comment about Angus out here it gives me the opportunity to show the positive qualities of Angus. I have a long list of bookmarked websites for reference material.

So what ya'll say? Agree to dissagree...just for a few days?
Frankie might be running low on info to cut and paste, better give her time to re-stock!! :lol:

I say, you don't have to read any thread that you don't want to read. I added to my cut and paste library today so please don't make the effort a waste of time. Give me the excuse to use it...

"25" said:
frankie the above word being discussed was fullblood there are no angus fullbloods because of polluted genes. quite simply registered angus purebred 7/8s 15/16ths and so on and if you register1/2 bloods 3/4 and so on you mean there is no other influence. in a 1/2 3/4 and so on

There are commercial Angus cattle and there are registered Angus cattle here in the US. Percentage cattle are not registerable in the Angus breed. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

i hope you are not stating that the angus are the only black animals there ever was and that all other black animals are black because of angus influence. if you are saying this then you sure have been sold a can of worms black ones at that.

I'm saying the reason the cowherd in the US is turning black is because of Angus influence, yes. Are Simmentals, Maines, Limousin, Black Herefords, Salers, black because of Angus influence? Yes, they are. If you have proof otherwise, please put it out here on the board.

i also asked you to ask some honest angus breders about the above i bet if you look you can find some to tell you the truth about the other influence in the breed

Let's see now, an Angus breeder is only honest if he agrees with you? ROTFLMAO! I said, very clearly, I'm an honest Angus breeder and I say you're full of bull about other influences in the breed. So put up or shut up, "25". Where's your proof? Insults and innuendo show you to be a small, sad person.

cherokeeruby":3g4jkuju said:
All of you are wasting your time arguing about Hereford and Angus. The number 1 breed worldwide is Brahman and it will continue to grow in numbers. With global warming you may all be adding Brahman blood to your cattle. And by the way, Brahmans do have a black hide.

But, Ruby, we all know that black hided animals don't do well in hot climates :lol:

I'm not aware that we're arguing Hereford & Angus. I'm merely defending Angus against "25's" insulting and erroneous comments. Certainly I can argue against Herefords if someone wants to do that....

Status
Not open for further replies.