selling a broken jaw steer

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
was going to fatten him out but decided to sell
what is he worth ?
his mouth is pretty out of shape but he is well and eating ok

Although he is in reasonable condition so he obviously can eat you won't be able to convince buyers that he is good to go, they just won't want to take a chance on him.

Ken

I would like to know what cowgirl8 and Kenny Thomas thinks he would bring. she thinks she got cheated at the sale the other day and sounds as if K T buys stock that is not always the top of the line. I should have also told you all he is 1/4 gray Brahman, I know to some that will make him worthless before the hurt mouth.

There is a place here you can take them straight to the slaughter house and they will pay you good money for dressed weight. I have done it several times, especially with older cows.

kenny thomas":3gcbaihp said:
Here i could probably buy him for .60 but would feed and sell him at 1000 lb for 1.25. Still not a bad profit.
Bryant: What do you think he weighs now?
Kenny..I understand it's a hypothetical, but Do you think you can put the additional weight on him this time of year and still make profit?
(Had our first light frost this morning ..grass will be done by the end of this month here)

I sold him yesterday and he weighed 740 lbs. was on just a native grass pasture till the last 3 weeks then on a Bermuda grass. I had started feeding him grain 5 days ago. I just decided to sell him we do not eat that much beef.
I will say he brought better than what I thought he would, any more guesses before I tell what he brought. I will tell this after noon

BRYANT":fwuvgbs1 said:
I sold him yesterday and he weighed 740 lbs. was on just a native grass pasture till the last 3 weeks then on a Bermuda grass. I had started feeding him grain 5 days ago. I just decided to sell him we do not eat that much beef.
I will say he brought better than what I thought he would, any more guesses before I tell what he brought. I will tell this after noon

I will throw out .80lb but here like my other Virginians said if theres ANYTHING wrong with one you are gonna take it in the shorts and like Nesi said are better off eating it yourself.

greybeard":8h0jzgv0 said:
kenny thomas":8h0jzgv0 said:
Here i could probably buy him for .60 but would feed and sell him at 1000 lb for 1.25. Still not a bad profit.
Bryant: What do you think he weighs now?
Kenny..I understand it's a hypothetical, but Do you think you can put the additional weight on him this time of year and still make profit?
(Had our first light frost this morning ..grass will be done by the end of this month here)
I will have grass till late February I think, but feed the calves I sell for beef also. I can feed him for lots less than 1.25 a lb so he would make money even if it was on hay and feed.

If you sold him at OKC he probably brought at least $.90 and possibly $1.00 or more. Think he will feed just fine and some feedlot will make more profit on him than they will on a "good" steer.

the steers weight was 740 lbs. and he brought 1.25 per pound for a total of 925.00
I thought he did very well

I'm sure glad i don't live in Va, tho the prospect of having grass thru February is something i don't have an option to think about other than ryegrass and oats.

greybeard":13yezek2 said:
I'm sure glad i don't live in Va, tho the prospect of having grass thru February is something i don't have an option to think about other than ryegrass and oats.

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts