Selling 1150 LB Steer for MEAT (GRAIN FED)

Help Support CattleToday:

kobo

Reaction score
TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT MIGHT KNOW WHERE YOU COULD SELL A 1150 LB GRAIN FED STEER.
(WITHOUT SENDING TO AUCTION BARN) HAVEN'T DECIDED FOR SURE, BUT HAS DEVELOPED SWALLOWING DEFECT AND MAY NEED TO... (NOTHING THAT WILL EFFECT THE MEAT OR SLAUGHTER) BUT KNOW THERE MUST BE MARKETS OR COMPANIES OUT THERE THAT WILL WILL PAY MORE FOR GRAIN FED BEEF. (RESTAURANTS ETC.) WE;RE IN TEXAS. ANY IDEAS PLEASE ADVISE OF COURSE WOULD LIKE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.... THANKS

annoyed.gif
Caps Stuck?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

kobo":1jajobk8 said:
TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT MIGHT KNOW WHERE YOU COULD SELL A 1150 LB GRAIN FED STEER.
(WITHOUT SENDING TO AUCTION BARN) HAVEN'T DECIDED FOR SURE, BUT HAS DEVELOPED SWALLOWING DEFECT AND MAY NEED TO... (NOTHING THAT WILL EFFECT THE MEAT OR SLAUGHTER) BUT KNOW THERE MUST BE MARKETS OR COMPANIES OUT THERE THAT WILL WILL PAY MORE FOR GRAIN FED BEEF. (RESTAURANTS ETC.) WE;RE IN TEXAS. ANY IDEAS PLEASE ADVISE OF COURSE WOULD LIKE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.... THANKS

Lose the caps - no excuses - it pizzes folks off - and I admit I am one.

If you know there are markets out there that will pay more for a grain fed cow I wish you would tell me where - been raising them for nearly 50 years and have not found those markets.

Your animal is likely black - and it is ready to eat - but ......

You have a flawed animal - it will be worth less to people - trust me - if the buyer can dock the price he will.

Your steer is worth about 75-85 cents a pound with flaws and weight as a small producer

Maybe more and maybe less if you are lucky / unlucky

You will probably make more if you put an add in the paper - looking for buyers - then process it and sell it to them - do not give them the beef until you have the CASH in hand

Or eat it yourself

Good luck

Bez+

i like the eat it yourself

You say it has a hard time swallowing, "swallowing defect", you need to check the temp and make sure it does not have a fever first. I believe 38.5 C converted is 101.3F is the line. Call your vet to confirm. Especially if you plan to sell it for meat!

typically most restaurants and such will only buy inspected meat. And they usually buy from wholesalers who can provide the best deal, since they are repeat customers. They are not usually to interested in a one time deal. A one time person offers no guarantee on a refund if the meat is tough, or not up to "their" standards.

If you do not want to eat it yourself, find two people ready to buy your meat.

I must be from the moon. I cant understand why you would try to sell a sick animal to be eaten by the public. Are you trying to avoid the sale barn because the cow cant pass their health inspection. I am puzzled.
Tom.

Clean out your freezer. If you can't hold all the meat yourself, give some to someone who needs it, or maybe see if you're local food bank can take some of it.
If you're on FB, post on there to see if any of your friends want to buy half. The time to get a premium price was before something went wrong. At this point, if you are certain the problem is only a congenital defect or injury, cut your losses and salvage what you can, but if something is wrong, you need to check with your vet first. Tom is right: a sick animal is nothing to put in your mouth or anyone else's.

Latest posts