sell privately or sale barn?

Help Support CattleToday:

nocows

Reaction score
I have two heifer calves to sell both around 8 months old. Should I advertise them for sale on Craiglist/FB groups or just haul them to the sale barn for the feeder calf sale in a couple weeks?

I think they'd make decent replacements one is a brangus heifer that is really filling out nicely and the other is a sim/angus heifer she's a little smaller but still nice looking.

If they're good calves, I would try to sell privately first. You can name your price and see if there are any takers. If you don't sell them, you would still have time to take them to the feeder sale in a few weeks.

I think I may try that list them and if they don't sell just send them on down the road, with the shortage of hay and the conditions we had over the summer probably not a lot of people looking for more animals to feed through the winter.

Thanks for the input.....

I've listed cattle on Craigslist before and got a lot of tire-kickers; have had way more success on Facebook (local Farmers/Ranchers site) and local, word of mouth. Regardless of where you sell them, make sure to include their health history. Good luck!

Im going to go against the grain and say sell them at the sale barn. Its a sweet deal to drop them off and get a check in the mail the next day. Not sure what your mark up on them would be but a few tire kickers will sure make it not worth it real fast.

Brute 23":2pft05ca said:
Im going to go against the grain and say sell them at the sale barn. Its a sweet deal to drop them off and get a check in the mail the next day. Not sure what your mark up on them would be but a few tire kickers will sure make it not worth it real fast.

I kind of like the idea of that too.... I have never taken anything to the sale barn because this is the first year I have ever had anything to sell lol. I've hauled plenty of them to the sale barn for a friend, he weans his calves by putting them on the trailer and hauling them to town.

I feel like I've put a lot of time and effort into these calves and just hope to see my hard work pay off. They are weaned, fully vaccinated and I've been feeding them twice a day.

Either way thanks for all of the feedback I sure do enjoy this forum so many nice folks willing to help out or provide input.

I ask a lot of questions on here not too often am I able to answer any but I'm still learning :)

nocows":10u9p09o said:
Brute 23":10u9p09o said:

I kind of like the idea of that too.... I have never taken anything to the sale barn because this is the first year I have ever had anything to sell lol. I've hauled plenty of them to the sale barn for a friend, he weans his calves by putting them on the trailer and hauling them to town.

I feel like I've put a lot of time and effort into these calves and just hope to see my hard work pay off. They are weaned, fully vaccinated and I've been feeding them twice a day.

Either way thanks for all of the feedback I sure do enjoy this forum so many nice folks willing to help out or provide input.

I ask a lot of questions on here not too often am I able to answer any but I'm still learning :)
You need to try and sell them locally. If you have fed them they should be tame, advertising as such will sell them.

Brute 23":2qfnq18y said:
True….and multiple buyers who usually are up to date on market prices.

nocows":gz2hua6k said:
Brute 23":gz2hua6k said:

I dont blame you. Its rewarding to have some one come back and tell you how well the cattle they bought from you worked out. :)

If you like to argue. You can listen to someone criticize your steer for 20 minutes at $750. Then haul it to the sale barn and get a check for $1,017

I would advertise them locally, since you have some time and money and effort in them to make them more friendly/handleable. I think TrueGrit had a good idea. Might be someone wanting a calf to show or raise up that yours would be a good start. If hay is short in your area, then prices will be down a bit, but you might go to the sale barn and see what cattle like yours - size/weight - are bringing so you know what they are worth.
You do still have the option of the sale barn if they don't sell. We have sold privately before, and done good. But sometimes it is just not worth the hassle. You go to the sale barn, the buyers are there, and you get a check that you know will cash at the bank. Have had some problems with getting money from private buyers in the past. And I don't want to listen to the himing and hawing from some of them either. I'm a straight forward person. Not a bargainer....

Latest posts