Sell before or after Labor day?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Trying to decide on selling some weaned calves next week or the week after Labor day. I know the markets are not predicatable but in general which would be better?

In our area, next week. It's starting to get dry. They will bring just as much now as in 6 weeks, and you'll have saved some pasture. Just my opinion.

I hauled the last of mine and the neighbors today let you know what they brought a pound.
We had from 3wt's to 6. I pulled some before they were ripe had to get them off the cows in this drought.
I hauled to Livingston not our best salebarn in the area, never seen that many trailers full before in my life at this salebarn.

Had one tell me this morning it's time to go.........yep...wrong side of the fence...Our big chance of rain netted 2/10ths on one place and 1/10 on the other.........30 day cycle on actual sparce rain says it's time for mine to go.

It's not gonna matter price wise. If they haven't dropped by now, they shouldn't. I talked to a buyer, for a packing plant in San Antonio, and he said he is buying in Raywood on Mondays and hauling them there and it is taking them until Thursday to finish slaughtering them. They are running 24/7. That's alot of cattle going to slaughter. He said the same thing is going on at a Dallas packing plant. I'm selling some calves tomorrow in Raywood.

CCRanch":3gqwr3og said:
It's not gonna matter price wise. If they haven't dropped by now, they shouldn't. I talked to a buyer, for a packing plant in San Antonio, and he said he is buying in Raywood on Mondays and hauling them there and it is taking them until Thursday to finish slaughtering them. They are running 24/7. That's alot of cattle going to slaughter. He said the same thing is going on at a Dallas packing plant. I'm selling some calves tomorrow in Raywood.

Who owns Raywood now? Didn't Shorty Clemmon's own it or still does?

Caustic Burno":3njcreqo said:
CCRanch":3njcreqo said:

Who owns Raywood now? Didn't Shorty Clemmon's own it or still does?
John Britt owns Raywood. Shorty Clamons has owned Livingston for a long time and used to run Winnie.

Im gonna haul 40 calves and 20 cows Thursday .. grass is short hay is low and I'm tired of worrying....I will be down to about 70 head on 600 acres that makes half my herd I've sold this year... supposed to rain at the end of the week but its to little to late ...

JSCATTLE":xdscrfb6 said:
Im gonna haul 40 calves and 20 cows Thursday .. grass is short hay is low and I'm tired of worrying....I will be down to about 70 head on 600 acres that makes half my herd I've sold this year... supposed to rain at the end of the week but its to little to late ...
What sale are you going to? Only Thursday sale I can think of in Southeast Texas is Columbus.

JSCATTLE":3show6eh said:
Nacogdoches is on Thursday ...

Is it closer than Crockett ? I know it is a virtual wash for me from Tyler county about 10 miles difference.
I knew Shorty used to own another barn somewhere down there, used to go to Winnie back in the day to watch the show. Them girls come off that salt grass was some of the best rodeo's I went to. I only haul to to Livingston when I have a real cull of one or two for some reason. Saturaday I hauled 4 that were not ripe and four for my neighbor. I don't like to haul to Crockett unless I am going to fill the 24' trailer versus the 16' gooseneck. That will more than make up the difference in fuel.

Caustic Burno":35mjmq1w said:
JSCATTLE":35mjmq1w said:
Nacogdoches is on Thursday ...

Is it closer than Crockett ? I know it is a virtual wash for me from Tyler county about 10 miles difference.
I knew Shorty used to own another barn somewhere down there, used to go to Winnie back in the day to watch the show. Them girls come off that salt grass was some of the best rodeo's I went to. I only haul to to Livingston when I have a real cull of one or two for some reason. Saturaday I hauled 4 that were not ripe and four for my neighbor. I don't like to haul to Crockett unless I am going to fill the 24' trailer versus the 16' gooseneck. That will more than make up the difference in fuel.
crockett is about the same for me ... I've actually never sold at crockett .. livingston kirbiville are junk sales ... I know a few people that say they do better at crockett than nac. But its the same buyers .... if I only have a cow or a few calves I drop them off at joes in kirbyville and the truck from nacogdoches picks them up...

JSC Livingston can be a dang fine sale if you follow the obits. Kids wanting to dump dad's cows and they can do it on Sat and get their check. I have seen a life time of work run through there a many a time.

Caustic Burno":2vkl912e said:
JSC Livingston can be a dang fine sale if you follow the obits. Kids wanting to dump dad's cows and they can do it on Sat and get their check. I have seen a life time of work run through there a many a time.
I'm not saying I wouldn't buy there .. I just refuse to sell any thing there.. I've bought several at livingston that were supposed to be 7 or 8 months bred .. took them home and had them rechecked ... no calf ...

They went to the market today, heifers that averaged 525 brought $1.21, 540 steer brought $1.23 and a cull cow brought $.615

Ya know........sell whenever......few bucks one way or another isn't going to amount to much on a few head....

Latest posts