Sell 4 Weights or Sell 5 Weights?

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve, I've been noticing about even pricing for heifers from 500 to about 750 lbs. All around $170. I've been confused why people are paying so much for certain 4 weight heifers. Some of those are $190. Looks like you got over $200. That's a great time to sell!
Early this fall light heifers sold with male calves at some sales and sold with about a U$S 25 discount at others. I don't think the bigger grow yards were in the market yet. Heifers can be a sucker play.

Heifer discount also seems to be a bit regional. I asked Aaron about it. The party line there is high feed costs make (lower rate of gain) heifers even less economical. I think it also gets into how/if you charge yardage. Some focus on $ per head and don't charge yardage.

I cannot afford to feed 5 or 6 wt. feeder heifers but may buy some 7 wts. in late winter...

Last edited:
Those are great weights elkwc and a good dollar too. Where about are you?
We are in west central OK and been in a 2 year drought. In a normal year most of our calves would be put on wheat pasture. We may have some in February but not now.

Which skills do you think are the most important here?
I been dabbling in this a bit myself lately and will take a stab:
-being able to assess the critter quickly in ring; i.e problem vs opportunity; sharp eye
- having the self control to stop bidding as your window for opportunity shrinks
- having the knowledge and means to get them through the next two weeks in good health, once you bring them to the farm
- having access to cheap, viable nutrition options
-time to spend in search of these opportunities
-having means, ability and facilities to treat them ASAP should they need it

just my ramblings but look forward to others thoughts.

I was driving the same route last week through some nice country. It's reall open with slight hills and decent size places. Most people had large stock tanks in low spots. Some had a ton of grass and looked like a beautiful prairie. Some were still showing the scars of the drought. One in pretty bad shape had spotty grass and they were trying to feed some raggedy hay already. The cattle were poor and looked like auction barn cows.

Another place I went by with spotty grass had some probably 6wt steers on it. The first day they were at a distance so I didn't get a great look. The second day I confirmed my suspicions and saw the yellow tags still on them. I noticed most of the group grazing by the road except one. It was laying down with head low and droopy ears. The next 5 days or so I noticed several others all clearly in the same condition. Being that they didn't move far over the next couple days and they were still in the pasture I'm going to venture and say nothing had been done.

I felt bad for the cattle and the land. Not sure what their game plan is.

Latest posts