Sell 4 Weights or Sell 5 Weights?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Steers - - 469# sold for U$S 1074 and 520# sold for $ 1165. So, 51# more sold for $ 91 or value of gain of $1.78 per lb.. Results will vary but you should be able to put weight on for less than that. Most of these calves were purchased as bulls so both groups worked well.

Heifers - - 429# sold for U$S 905 and 521# sold for $ 925. So, 92# more sold for $20 or value of gain of $ 0.22 per pound. These calves were penned together, and the bigger heifers may have gotten a little fleshy. Some girls just wanna have more whole shell corn. Putting more pounds on these heifers was not profitable.

Heifer demand is more variable here. Are you seeing soft er pricing for 6 wt. heifers like we are?

Last edited:
Around here you better get those heifers sold before they hit 600.

500-599 is where you normally want everything here but I've seen times where a 450 will bring within $75 of that.

The ones I sold it was roughly $1 a pound for the extra pounds. But they were all grazing on hay field regrowth with no feed. So cost are pretty darn low. And it might be a regional difference but if you were to sort off a few at at time at the optimal weight to sell your price will drop. They pay more for cattle that come in larger groups with information. Smaller groups are much less likely to have the information well announced.

They pay more for cattle that come in larger groups with information.
Up here they pay more for larger groups with reputation.

And quality being equal, dollars per head always goes up with the weight of the calf. I've never seen a 500 lb calf sell for more dollars than a 700 lb calf.

Here in this area, a 700 lb calf will sell for 1.35-1.50... At 1.50 = $1050. A 550 calf will bring 1.80 to 1.90 (we got 1.87 and 1.92 for some back in August avg wt 545 or thereabouts)... at 1.90 a 550 wt = $1045. NOT worth the extra time and feed for the extra gain.... comes out equal. We can run another cow-calf pair and make more with the extra calf. The market here is just not there for the heavier weights of 6-750..... Get over 8 wts AND have a load, or even 20+ head then the money is better because they will go direct to a feedlot somewhere.
Our cows do not wean calves in the 6-7 wts like you get up north. It is a different grass, we have alot more flies and heat/humidity that changes their grazing habits and the temps do keep that gain lower.

Here in this area, a 700 lb calf will sell for 1.35-1.50... At 1.50 = $1050. A 550 calf will bring 1.80 to 1.90 (we got 1.87 and 1.92 for some back in August avg wt 545 or thereabouts)... at 1.90 a 550 wt = $1045. NOT worth the extra time and feed for the extra gain.... comes out equal. We can run another cow-calf pair and make more with the extra calf. The market here is just not there for the heavier weights of 6-750..... Get over 8 wts AND have a load, or even 20+ head then the money is better because they will go direct to a feedlot somewhere.
Our cows do not wean calves in the 6-7 wts like you get up north. It is a different grass, we have alot more flies and heat/humidity that changes their grazing habits and the temps do keep that gain lower.

Well it appears there are pockets in the US where small calves sell with the bigger ones, it's up to the producer to know their market. I see at Tristate this week 700 lb calves outsold 500 lb calves by only about $100. In Nebraska it's $300+ more.
I'd also like to once again take the opportunity to address the myth that up north you can just turn any old cow out and she'll bring a 700 lb calf home in the fall. These calves are the exception and not the rule. Northern grass is washy and not nearly as good as the hard grasses of places like Nebraska.
Seems to me former CT member Ron (Bright Raven) raised whoppers down in Kentucky. Maybe he was just lucky but I doubt it.

@Silver ... I agree that just any old cow won't raise the 700 lb calves. Genetics has a WHOLE LOT to do with it.
That said, you seem to have some pretty darn nice cattle and good genetics.
Here in Va we get a different kind of grass from year to year. This year we had pretty decent rain.. but it varied in a 50 mile radius. I had dairy farms with real good corn crops and some that had stressed corn all within 50-75 miles. The amount of rain had a big effect on the grass too. We had some good grass at a couple places and 20 miles away the grass was also washy... you could see a definite difference in the calves. And also, we don't sort our cows to put "better cows" together and not so good cows other places. We more often sort by bull (steer) calves and heifer calves to make getting them in and a trailer load of all the same sex to go to certain places. So there will be some good cows and some mediocre cows all together at the same place. Granted the good cows will do better but on places where we have had way more rain than normal and the grass is washy, even their calves will not be as good and the mediocre cows calves sometimes actually do better because the cows are making more milk sometimes. But overall, the condition of the grass does dictate A LOT of the calf weight through the effect it has on the cows too.
Because we do some buying and selling of breds, sometimes doing what @Dave does and buy some one and dones if they can be bought right, we have varying degrees of "good cows" and mediocre cows. The nice ones often stay and become a part of the herd; or their heifer calves will join the replacements. I've kept a few heifers off one and dones because those cows were old for a reason, and the calves showed the quality even if the old cow was just at the end of her productive life.

With the way the markets have been here, my son is doing more dabbling in buying cheap bull, and even some cheaper steer calves, working them, getting them bunk broke, weaned and in better shape... and then putting together some groups. He did a few last year, have about 40 now and as soon as there is a little more money will try to buy a few more to get preconditioned for sale. Unfortunately, we spent a kings ransom on putting in the bunker for corn silage this year because concrete has gone through the roof... he hates dealing with the bags and the mud in the winter and bag prices went way up; this was something he had been wanting to do but would not do it until the farm was his obviously.... and this after he just made the first yearly payment on the farm that he bought from the deceased friend's widow that we have been renting.... So, just when the conditions seem right for some cattle "dealing" we are also dealing with alot of output that we didn't have 2 years ago. But, I am hoping that we can do a little more this year.... We cut some of the cow numbers back to about 130-150 and put some of these calves out on grass after 30 days in the barn lots and they are looking real good. We had a good grass year and now it is doing them alot of good.
Gotta work with the system that we have... and the market demands that is in this area.

Love your red cows and we get massacred on reds here....

Had some Sim Angus cows that raised 700# calves, but I sold them. Not cost effective here unless you are selling seed stock. People will usually pay up for big fleshy black bulls, but not their steer mates.

Last edited:
We have sold 3 bunches so far off the cow 7-8 months of age. The steers have averaged 752,721 & 715 with no creep. Our cows are mostly black Angus with a few Red Angus and Herefords. We use a few Hereford bulls also. Last week the 752 lb strs brought $166.00. The hfr mates weighed 686 and brought $152.00. This year here the bigger the better. We sold one bwf str that weighed 510 @ $2.06. He was a late calf. So the extra lbs pay here.

@chevytaHOE5674 ; that has been our thinking for a few years. We could get the same dollars for the 550 wt calves and ran a few more cows, so more calves to sell. It still holds true in alot of ways, but son is finding he has a knack for buying some of the cheap bull calves and picking up some steers that need TLC and then being able to turn them over in 2-5 months... all according to the markets. And that size does real good on some corn silage with a little protein added, and gets them to where the buyers here are liking them bunk broke, weaned and ready to go. With losing a few places over the past few years to people selling, and some of the pastures having "wish there was a fence" type of fences, so that keeping cow calf pairs with a bull gets dicey, we just have fewer places to put animals out on. So the "backgrounding" or pre-conditioning seems to be working right now. Might not be the ticket in 5 years... gotta go with what works.

My calves spend 6.5 hours on a truck to the nearest sale, so buying adding that TLC and then selling would never work out financially.

I wean my calves 60 days, 2 rounds of vaccinations, and bunk break them on a little corn. The sales rep says thats why my steers usually sell at or near the top.

Went to a BC winter meeting Before Covid and listened to a session on managing a livestock operation. The presenter broke the world down into 3 parts:
- limited by labor hours
- limited by acres
- limited by number of livestock

Why wouldn't it work Tahoe? I haul mine 4 1/2 hrs to sell but I can buy locally. For you, you would need to buy the same day you sell. Is it because of your climate?

I dont haul my calves. We combine pot loads and send them out, truck doesn't return here again for another month or so. No way I'm driving 6.5 hours one way to buy miss matched light weights, drag them home, "TLC" them, then ship them back and make any kind of money on the deal.

Steers - - 469# sold for U$S 1074 and 520# sold for $ 1165. So, 51# more sold for $ 91 or value of gain of $1.78 per lb.. Results will vary but you should be able to put weight on for less than that. Most of these calves were purchased as bulls so both groups worked well.

Heifers - - 429# sold for U$S 905 and 521# sold for $ 925. So, 92# more sold for $20 or value of gain of $ 0.22 per pound. These calves were penned together, and the bigger heifers may have gotten a little fleshy. Some girls just wanna have more whole shell corn. Putting more pounds on these heifers was not profitable.

Heifer demand is more variable here. Are you seeing soft er pricing for 6 wt. heifers like we are?
Steve, I've been noticing about even pricing for heifers from 500 to about 750 lbs. All around $170. I've been confused why people are paying so much for certain 4 weight heifers. Some of those are $190. Looks like you got over $200. That's a great time to sell!

Latest posts