Self Defense Guns

Help Support CattleToday:

For me, this is no surprise.

IMO, the daily need to carry a firearm for self-defense is vastly over stated. That is my sincere opinion based on having resided in five states, lived 67 years, traveled extensively, and been active outdoors.

Having said that, I would not want to be deprived of the right to carry and possess a self-defense handgun. I am a strong advocate of being well trained in defensive pistol. There are unique and personal circumstances when I want to exercise my right to be armed not for just defense - there are circumstances that we rarely mention where going on the offense is the order of the day.

How often do you make a car insurance claim? But yet you're still paying $1000's per year to have that full coverage, and may never need it, or hope to need it.

Same goes for carrying a gun, and a gun has a better pay out than car insurance...

I have personally stopped 3 situations where crimes were either being committed, or going to be committed, with a firearm. None of the three would have made it into those statistics. The first time, a man attempted to rob me while I was on the crapper at a Steak N Shake in Indy while plowing snow with pockets full of cash. The second time was three guys stealing pigs from the neighbors.....one of which was the manager of that particular farrowing operation. They all did get to go to jail. The third time was a doper beating the brakes off of his ol' lady in the middle of our road. I had my kid with me, and felt a little bit of an obligation to the woman taking the beating, but my daughters safety came first, so it was going to be a shoot from the seat kind of thing if it came to that. Numb nuts got to go back to prison, but I waited a few days before I called in a drug activity tip, so he never knew it was me.
Shyt happens, and we are 20 miles from the Sherriff's department. We live in a fairly large county, and there are only 4 deputies on duty at any one time. It never hurts to be prepared.

Farm Fence Solutions":2s6ehm3r said:
I have personally stopped 3 situations where crimes were either being committed, or going to be committed, with a firearm. None of the three would have made it into those statistics. The first time, a man attempted to rob me while I was on the crapper at a Steak N Shake in Indy while plowing snow with pockets full of cash. The second time was three guys stealing pigs from the neighbors.....one of which was the manager of that particular farrowing operation. They all did get to go to jail. The third time was a doper beating the brakes off of his ol' lady in the middle of our road. I had my kid with me, and felt a little bit of an obligation to the woman taking the beating, but my daughters safety came first, so it was going to be a shoot from the seat kind of thing if it came to that. Numb nuts got to go back to prison, but I waited a few days before I called in a drug activity tip, so he never knew it was me.
Shyt happens, and we are 20 miles from the Sherriff's department. We live in a fairly large county, and there are only 4 deputies on duty at any one time. It never hurts to be prepared.
From my own and wife's experience I know exactly what you are saying.
Having a gun and being ready to use it has changed the possible outcome from a possible disaster to almost a non-event more than once.
No way to know how many thousands of times this has happened and like you said they do not make it into the statistics.
Believing the statistics tell the whole story can be very misleading.

I'm sure we could all give many examples of things we do "just in case," to compare to carrying a gun, like insurance, even though chances that we use it are not great. I think we pick the ones we participate in based on our environment, culture, and experiences. I know a mail carrier with a rural route of over 100 miles a day with frequent stops. He told me he carries an extra set of brake-shoes in case he needs to change them out on the route, and he says he has a couple of times. Personally, I don't carry an extra pair even though it might come in handy sometimes.

My experience is more with bright Raven. I have never, nor have I ever personally know anyone who has ever used a gun to defend themselves or used it to get out of a tight situation. I've heard of some local rednecks having some gun-play with each other. Does that mean it will never happen? No it does not, but my experiences probably influences the fact that I don't carry a gun to go to the grocery.

On the other hand, some of you here have indicated that carrying a gun has bailed you out of situations multiple times in your life. I can't argue with that. I am glad that I don't live in any of those areas.

herofan":2mjes7qj said:
I'm sure we could all give many examples of things we do "just in case," to compare to carrying a gun, like insurance, even though chances that we use it are not great. I think we pick the ones we participate in based on our environment, culture, and experiences. I know a mail carrier with a rural route of over 100 miles a day with frequent stops. He told me he carries an extra set of brake-shoes in case he needs to change them out on the route, and he says he has a couple of times. Personally, I don't carry an extra pair even though it might come in handy sometimes.

My experience is more with bright Raven. I have never, nor have I ever personally know anyone who has ever used a gun to defend themselves or used it to get out of a tight situation. I've heard of some local rednecks having some gun-play with each other. Does that mean it will never happen? No it does not, but my experiences probably influences the fact that I don't carry a gun to go to the grocery.

On the other hand, some of you here have indicated that carrying a gun has bailed you out of situations multiple times in your life. I can't argue with that. I am glad that I don't live in any of those areas.
One of "those areas" could be a gas station where you're filling up tomorrow. Anyone that thinks otherwise is foolish, no offense.

M.Magis":3mdojtq2 said:
herofan":3mdojtq2 said:

One of "those areas" could be a gas station where you're filling up tomorrow. Anyone that thinks otherwise is foolish, no offense.

You are correct. I just feel that some of you live in environments that make you feel like it's more likely to happen than where I live. To be honest, I wasn't aware there were people so big on carrying guns for protection until I came to this forum. I'm not ever around anyone who talks about it. On the other hand, I'm sure you find it really strange that someone doesn't carry one.

This article forgot to equate in for how many times there was an armed security guard, or armed police officer, which were carrying guns.
But we all know the police are the only one's that should have guns, since they never do anything wrong.

herofan":i6az25ua said:
You are correct. I just feel that some of you live in environments that make you feel like it's more likely to happen than where I live. To be honest, I wasn't aware there were people so big on carrying guns for protection until I came to this forum. I'm not ever around anyone who talks about it. On the other hand, I'm sure you find it really strange that someone doesn't carry one.
I don't find it strange that someone doesn't carry. What I do find strange, that in the face of evidence to the contrary, people still believe it's a matter of environment, when most law abiding people are assaulted, killed, and robbed in environments they've always considered perfectly safe. Their own homes, in well lit (even security patrolled) walmart type parking lots, sitting at a red light at a busy intersection in broad daylight, pumping gas at a convenience store they have stopped at routinely, walking back to their car at a popular movie theater, county and state fair parking areas, and any number of other 'safe environments'.

Why?
Criminals are opportunists and know most people consider themselves to safe in those areas where they are less likely to be armed.
Luck of the draw plays in to it more than anything else.
Statistically, yes, the odds of you or I being added to the thousands of law abiding 'normal' people that find themselves in harms way every year is "seemingly' very low. If it is indeed worth the risk to you (and your loved ones) to not carry or even concern yourself, go for it. It will only take once to probably change your mind and the risk factors are not as much in your favor as you may think.

Approx 83% of the US population age 12 and over will become a victim of violent crime at least once in their lifetimes.
The odds do go down as you get older. While the odds of you being shot in an individual personal robbery or as part of a store holdup are probably pretty low, you must recall that the odds don't matter one crappola if you get shot.
There's a pie graph at the following link, which I can't currently post a picture of so you will have to follow the link and scroll down to see it.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... me/robbery

A similar one for a more recent year.
25977016.jpg

Latest posts