Selenium/calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Vicki the Vet suggested giving a preventative shot to calves at one month of age, as well as the one I give at birth. What is a preventative dosage versus therapeutic one?

[email protected]

Usually it's 1cc vs 2 cc.

However if you have a deficiency, shots aren't the best solution.(short term for right now yes, but read on)

A loose salt/mineral fed year round with selenium added will solve many problems you didn't even know you had. The cost is roughly double that of feeding regular salt, but no added minerals during the summer, or when feeding good hay are needed.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

If you mean a lick block that has minerals in it, I believe thay are a waste of money, any time of year.

I feed a trace mineralized loose salt. Some stores call it high boot salt, some call it trace mineral salt.

The one I use has 120 mg of selenium per kg., very high, but the salt regulates the amount consumed.

I pay $11 for a 25kg bag. I don't feed the $25 a bag mineral, or lick tubs any time of the year. If the grass is poor or whatever, I suppliment the feed. When feeding poor feed I suppliment vitamin a,d&e magnesium, phosphorus calcium. I can suppliment 100% daily requirements for less than 10 cents a day with unmixed minerals.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

I don't know how they compare, but in Washington state, they have a limit on selenium in the loose mix... I think (am not sure) that the rule is three parts per million...not very high, and to be sure it isn't anywhere near 120 mgs...

[email protected]

There are two products for selenium/vit B injections. BoSe and MuSe. The BoSe is less concentrated and is recommended for calves. I don't have the label, but I believe it is recommended 2.5 to 3.75 per 100#. We are in a very deficient area, and we give 4 cc per 100#. The MuSe is more concentrated is is 1 cc per 200#. Selenium is toxic so be sure your area needs it. Some areas have too much selenium in the soil. 3 parts per million is the right amount allowed sold. But, you can special order mineral mixes with the amount you want. We blood tested our cows several times until we settled on 12 parts per million. TRIPLE the recommended dosage. At this dosage year-round, we give BoSe shots at birth, then we usually give MuSe to the calves during early summer when we worm our calves. I feel very strongly on providing loose mineral/salt mixture year round. Jeanne
> I don't know how they compare, but
> in Washington state, they have a
> limit on selenium in the loose
> mix... I think (am not sure) that
> the rule is three parts per
> million...not very high, and to be
> sure it isn't anywhere near 120
> mgs...

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

Jeanne's right. There are a very few areas in North America that have an overabundance of selenium in the soil. We are one of those. There is a small lake about 15 miles southeast of us that is selenium toxic and they're working on ways to clean it up. There are also plants that grow in some areas that concentrate selenium in their leaves and other parts. The cows won't touch the plant - I guess they might if they were starving. Curlycup gumweed is one that comes to mind. The cows weren't eating the plant, so I reasearched it and promptly removed it from the pasture.

Friends in Idaho were having serious problems with their newborn calves until they started injecting them at birth with either BoSe or MuSe (can't remember which) and that solved their problems.

> There are two products for
> selenium/vit B injections. BoSe
> and MuSe. The BoSe is less
> concentrated and is recommended
> for calves. I don't have the
> label, but I believe it is
> recommended 2.5 to 3.75 per 100#.
> We are in a very deficient area,
> and we give 4 cc per 100#. The
> MuSe is more concentrated is is 1
> cc per 200#. Selenium is toxic so
> be sure your area needs it. Some