Selector control valve leak

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis

Reaction score
One of the SCVs on my hay tractor has an internal leak. As soon as I hook up to the remote, there's fluid flowing through. Took it to a hydraulic shop and they said there's nothing they can do. Is my only option to buy a new (used) valve?

Edit: It's looks like this one.
1977190419_1519224528.jpg

Never been inside a jd one like that but i assume it's just a spool and o rings? Is the casting cracked? Otherwise I would think you could get anything to fix it from jd.

If we knew what JD tractor somebody might could find you a kit. I don't have a clue, but unless something inside is broken it should be rebuild-able/fixable.

Sorry, I left info out. It's an '88 2550. It's a poppet style SCV. Have tried calling the Deere dealer to see if they can rebuild it, but no answer yet. From what little I've found searching online, not a lot of places work on them and it's probably not a DIY type of fix. I can live without it I guess, but I'd like to have access to both sets of remotes.

Guess thats where I was confused. Hydro shop said its a lapped metal fit and not o-rings that cause the internal leak. I wonder if the o-ring kit is for the spool style valve.

if there's pitting on the seat and it's a lapped metal fit, perhaps some valve grinding compound on it would clean it back up... don't have much to lose at this point

I've been holding off because without this valve on, I can't use the tractor. I didn't think I could get much accomplished at night since all daylight hours have been spent trying to get hay done.
Apparently most of the JD shops don't want to mess with them or don't have anyone able to do them. I did luck out and found a gentleman on another site that rebuilds them quite a bit, so I'll mail it it tomorrow. I'll be on vacation for a week so the tractor will be sitting either way. Thanks for all the help.

skyhightree1":3l69h049 said:
Nesikep":3l69h049 said:
VACATION??

Hope you have a good one!

I must be doing something wrong too cause I don't even know what a vacation is.

its something that cost alot of money so you set there and worry about what needs doing at home and your more stressed out than you were before you went on vacation .

Stay home , save the money and worry less.

M-5":35d2s6fu said:
skyhightree1":35d2s6fu said:
Nesikep":35d2s6fu said:
VACATION??

Hope you have a good one!

its something that cost alot of money so you set there and worry about what needs doing at home and your more stressed out than you were before you went on vacation .

Thats about right, though my worrying is happening now. I check cows and fences over and over making sure everything is tight, and look at the hay fields that need done now. Once I'm in the kayak fishing the backwaters of FL, I forget all about it.

M.Magis":10xp6im2 said:
M-5":10xp6im2 said:
skyhightree1":10xp6im2 said:

Thats about right, though my worrying is happening now. I check cows and fences over and over making sure everything is tight, and look at the hay fields that need done now. Once I'm in the kayak fishing the backwaters of FL, I forget all about it.
What part of FL.

I did that for years and years. Not saying I would do things any different if I had a do over, but the older I get, the more I realize there sure is a lot of Texas I haven't gotten to see up close and may never at this late date.

I sure haven't missed seeing the cows the last two weeks. I need to get back home and try and make some hay. Working for your cows to have fun is crazy, somethings a person does makes no sense.

greybeard":31z3l3ol said:

I did that for years and years. Not saying I would do things any different if I had a do over, but the older I get, the more I realize there sure is a lot of Texas I haven't gotten to see up close and may never at this late date.

Ya, I think Texas is much like BC in that it would take a lot of poking around to get to see it all up close and personal. A feller may not live long enough. :(

If theres one thng that'll put a damper on my Florida vacation, its this {*[~\*¥••?% red tide. Can't fish and can't go to the beach. Water looks like black coffee and thousands upon thousands of dead fish. Oh well, at least I hear we're getting some rain back home.

Latest posts