Selection Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
It is hard to believe that it is time to start selecting bulls for the upcoming breeding season. We are going to back things up a bit this year and do the AI work on January 6th this should give us a due date of 10/15/17. Hopefully by doing this we will not be calving in the extreme heat we experienced this year. We are not going to use a timed AI protocol on the heifers this year we are going to put a patch on them then try to catch them on a natural heat. We will start trying to catch them in heat mid December through mid January anything we have missed will just get covered by the bull. At least I know for sure at this point that all of the heifers will be AI'd to RB Nemo 716 reg# 16765791 he doesn't have big numbers but he sure is the right kind. I will be covering the heifers natural service with C37 a Sitz Rainmaker 6169 X Chloe Juanada 7009 son that is really nice.

This is Nemo in his working clothes

This is C41 a flush brother to C37

I feel sure I will be using more SAV Recharge 3436, SAV Resource 1441, and SAV Renoun as well along with some of my old Coleman EXT 6149 bull. The 6149 bull is just such a good rip his daughters are just beautiful I keep telling myself not to use it up but dang I want a few of his calves every year. We have about 50% of our calf crop on the ground so I guess the boss is right I better get busy.

gizmom

We had very good results this year using patches on observed heat using the 7 day heifer protocol. This will narrow it down to a couple days.

Gizmon sounds like you have a good plan. I am liking SS Niagara at select sires. One question, what differences have you seen in the 3 brothers resource, renown, recharge?

Wildcat

It is to early to give a comparison. We have Resource daughters in production and I can tell you I like them a lot. They are making good mamma cows nice udders deep and broody. We have our first Recharge calves on the ground and I like the shape of them but still early in the game to be able to say they will work. The Renoun bull is still in the tank and will be used this year along with his two brothers.

Gizmom

Gizmon, I am surprised that you are using all 3 of them Resource, Recharge and Renown. I would have thought they would all carry similar genetics, sort of putting all your eggs in the one basket. Are you noticing any difference in the Resource and Recharge calves?

Ken

wbvs58

The Recharge calves have a little different shape to them at birth, still to early to give a detailed comparison. I have talked to several friends that have used Renown they have said he adds a bit more extension to the front end. We breed a bunch of cows AI so other bulls will be in the mix but I wanted to get progeny of all three of these bulls. Just because they are full siblings doesn't mean they will be the same. I had one sister she was all of 4' 10 inches tall and growing up she did good to weigh 90 pounds I am 5'6 and heck I don't think I ever only weighed 90 pounds lol, yet we are full siblings. So once we get daughters in production out of all three I will be able to tell you which one is my favorite.

gizmom

We processed our yearling bulls today. Took yearling weights, hip height, SC all vaccinations wormed and poured. We also freeze branded I know Mike and the Boss are tuckered out tonight. The C37 bull we targeted to use had an actual weight of 1225 hip height 51 which makes him a solid 6 frame and a SC of 40 which is exceptional for a yearling bull. At least I feel he is all I hoped for an added bonus is disposition. He was a perfect gentleman even through the freeze branding. I am pretty darn tickled with this calf.

Gizmom

So far for us we are going to use SS Niagara, Plattemere Weigh Up, Hoover Dam, and the hereford bull Mohican THM Excede. May sprinkle a few other bulls too.

What's been the avg birth weights on the Renown and Resource calves looking at using them both on cows and Subzero on heifers

LRAF

Sorry I haven't responded before now. We have been on the road for the past few days. We attended the ZWT sale and the Decades of Excellence Sales on Friday and Saturday so busy weekend. Saw some really nice cattle at both sales.

We have not yet used the Resource bull we have used Resource and Recharge and plan to use Renown this breeding season. We have 8 calves on the ground this year out of Recharge with an average BW on the 8 of 71 pounds. The heavy weight of the 8 was 82 pounds and the light weight was out of a first calf heifer and the calf was early. I know we have had a few more Resource calves that I missed bulls that have already sold but I still have 10 the oldest of these had their first calves this year. Of the 10 average weight was 76.6 The heavy weight of the Resource calves was 92 pounds and the light weight was 65 pounds. I intend to use the Resource bull heavy this coming year. I really like the Resource calves the first calf heifers are doing a really good job they have beautiful udders just nice young cows. The next will be breed back which is another test for young cows along with weaning weights on the first calves.

gizmom

I finally had a chance to take a few photos today and thought I would post some of the Resource and Recharge.

D27 Bull Calf out of a three year old cow.

D46 Heifer Calf an ET calf out of Resource and our 0524 Donor.

B52 A first calf Resource daughter that has a nice BC Matrix Bull Calf at side.

I thought I had a photo of one of the open Resource heifers but when I started going through the pictures I could find one so I must of missed her.

gizmom

There is a small issue with file selection in a set of images. The image last viewed is not selected in the file list.

If I start with one image and then move to the next images, when I return to the file list, the last image viewed is not listed in the screen but the screen where I started is still shown.

It would be better if I could show the screenshots to understand better.

Attachment:

gizmom":1pzdag6u said:
LRAF

Sorry I haven't responded before now. We have been on the road for the past few days. We attended the ZWT sale and the Decades of Excellence Sales on Friday and Saturday so busy weekend. Saw some really nice cattle at both sales.

We have not yet used the Resource bull we have used Resource and Recharge and plan to use Renown this breeding season. We have 8 calves on the ground this year out of Recharge with an average BW on the 8 of 71 pounds. The heavy weight of the 8 was 82 pounds and the light weight was out of a first calf heifer and the calf was early. I know we have had a few more Resource calves that I missed bulls that have already sold but I still have 10 the oldest of these had their first calves this year. Of the 10 average weight was 76.6 The heavy weight of the Resource calves was 92 pounds and the light weight was 65 pounds. I intend to use the Resource bull heavy this coming year. I really like the Resource calves the first calf heifers are doing a really good job they have beautiful udders just nice young cows. The next will be breed back which is another test for young cows along with weaning weights on the first calves.

gizmom

What did you think of the 7075 bulls that ZWT sold? I almost pulled the trigger on them and bought them for no more than they brought.