Selecting seed stock?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sure my answer will differ from most because I am pursuing a linebreeding program. Therefore, pedigree is the first consideration I have in picking possible bull or cow prospects for my herd. If a pedigree doesn't contain at least one of three Hereford bulls, and preferably more than one, close up, then there's really no point in my looking further.

Then from pedigree it's on to phenotype, and if that passes inspection, then I will look at individual performance and scan information, horned or polled status, sire and dam's records, markings, pigment, EPDs, etc...etc...

And. of course, bulls receive greater scrutiny than cows/heifers because of their overall potential greater influence in the herd.

George

Alan":1i8npug5 said:
I left out do-ability in your environment, assuming you know how the line will do from others or your willing to take the chance... another example; my M326 stock seem to be very easy fleshing and easy keepers in my environment (Kansas breed lines), as will as Call 100 stock (high desert poor pastures unless irrigated).... but my Moler daughter just melted away into an decent looking cow, by no means as easy of keeper as most of my others.... but it could be the dams side. I'm in a area with lush green pastures for 8 months a year then field grass hay, but cold and lots of rain and mud in winter and fall.... and everywhere they and I walk is uphill, I'm sure there is no down hill walking at all :lol: . My M326 bred stock seem to do fine in it.

Please feel free to add any other things I may have missed.

Thanks,
Alan

Although M326 is owned by a Kansan(and an Oklahoman, a Texan, and a Virginian), he's not really "Kansas breed lines", but is mostly Felton and Victor bloodlines and I believe he was actually born and raised over in "rocket's" home state!

George

I looked at alot of bulls last year before last when planning a purchase. The thing that worked best for me is this:

I contacted the breeder and gave him my EPD parameters on the key indicators that would allow the bull to qualify for TAEP reimbursement (bulls EPD's must have at least four traits, BW,WW,YW and Milk in the top 50% of the breed). Once he pulled the papers on those bulls that qualified I went and looked at the qualifying bulls and then did a mental culling on phenotype. Once I had it narrowed down to the best he had phenotypically I started looking closer at their EPD's and bloodlines. If I wasn't happy with how they matched up I passed and contacted another breeder. I wound up spending about 500.00 more than my plan but I feel that I got a more balanced bull that does not have shabby numbers and his phenotype is better than most.

Here is what I look for when buying seedstock - be it bulls, cows or heifers it all stays the same
1st thing I need to know is will that animal work in my enviroment? for the most part we have little grass so the last thing I want is an animal that is going to need hand feeding 11 months of the year.
2nd Is the animal true to breed standard (I use the AHCS breed standard for choosing my seedstock)
3rd feet, legs, structure, eye appeal & horns I don't put these in any particular order.
4th Highland cattle don't have EBV's but I do record bw, ww & yw from my cows & calves for my own & future use & will only keep heifer calves from my better cows. (I want my cows / 1st calved heifers to wean calves at least 60-65% of their bodyweight on grass alone)
5th Temperament - must be calm & easy to manage by 1 person or 2 when working through the race
6th Bloodlines & colour of the animal
It may not be how everyone chooses their cattle but it works for me

Latest posts