selecting feeder calves

Help Support CattleToday:

cazzhrdwd

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new in raising cattle. One big question I have is how do I select the best Angus feeder calves to butcher as freezer beef. What does the best feeder at 400-600 lbs look like. Thanks in advance

I would look for calves that are fleshy, not fat, with enough frame size to grow to the 1250 lb range. I would also advise if you are just buying them to feed out & butcher you should consider Herefords or maybe crossbreds as they WILL be cheaper to buy & will make just as good of beef. :cboy:

Why Angus? If I am sending it to butcher I don't care what color it is. I would pick out a medium frame with good flesh(but not fat)- the cheaper the better. Heck I would be looking for one with a bad eye,ears frozen off and ring worm, the first two shouldn't be a problem and summer would cure the third.

Howdyjabo":1v5cmx6g said:
Why Angus? If I am sending it to butcher I don't care what color it is. I would pick out a medium frame with good flesh(but not fat)- the cheaper the better. Heck I would be looking for one with a bad eye,ears frozen off and ring worm, the first two shouldn't be a problem and summer would cure the third.

I would advise starting out with healthy cattle , but they don't need to be Angus.