Selecting bulls for new farm

Help Support CattleToday:

More T-Bones! LOL He was 2500 lbs in his prime years. 2100 when I sold him. His crosses had just a bit more length than an Angus and sure showed that hybrid vigor on looks and fast growth.

More T-Bones! LOL He was 2500 lbs in his prime years. 2100 when I sold him. His crosses had just a bit more length than an Angus and sure showed that hybrid vigor on looks and fast growth.
Limousine my be a route I need to look at I've never gave them much thought tbh. Would there be a chance of getting red calves out of black and white face cows or Hereford? A cow herd just ant complete without a few Herefords lol

Limousine my be a route I need to look at I've never gave them much thought tbh. Would there be a chance of getting red calves out of black and white face cows or Hereford? A cow herd just ant complete without a few Herefords lol
A homozygous black Limousin would throw all black calves from red cows.

I never put him on pure Hereford but had a few black white face, lots of Angus, and a couple Brangus. He threw several colors from the mixed herd. I wasn't too worried about color ...easy birthing, growth, disposition and market price were my goals.

Last edited:
I never put him on pure Hereford but had a few black white face, lots of Angus, and a couple Brangus. He threw several colors from the mixed herd. I wasn't too worried about color ...easy birthing, growth, disposition and market price were my goals.
From my research I've found that a limousine cross will almost grow as good as a Charolais. I found a study done by Oklahoma state university and from what I get from it there wasn't but just a few pounds different from weaning to slaughter

Massey, DMV in London would be a good place to start if you go that breed.

Ky hills you know of any limousine guys in Kentucky?
I don't know for sure if any names now, as I no longer am a member of the KY Cattlemen's Association and don't receive their monthly publication. It used to have a breeder page for most breeds and a classified section. There used to be a breeder near Richmond, possibly one in Mount Sterling. You could google search that might yield a few results. I bought one a few years ago from a farm that used to run registered Limousin but at that time had not registered any for a while but maintained purebreds. Mine was a red one, had a great disposition and put out some good thick calves. Overall though the calves weren't much heavier at weaning than our Hereford calves and the largest calf that year was a Hereford.

If you google it, they should have a KY Limo Association. Call an officer or director that does NOT live near you and ask for his advice for a recommendation for a breeder near you. "Most" people will be careful to recommend a reputable breeder. Tell him what you are looking for, CE, disposition, etc. He/she should know their breeders.

Guys I've pulled the trigger on this bull hes a balancer 75% gelb 25% angus. He's in the top 5% for weaning weights. Next question is what if I ran 2 different breeds of bulls in my cow heard. This bull and a Charolais bull?

Attachments

• F664C17A-3037-407E-B55C-80E9F70ECD8B.jpeg
    F664C17A-3037-407E-B55C-80E9F70ECD8B.jpeg
    936.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts