Select Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*

Reaction score
Apparently, semex is rezoning and will no longer be serving our area....ABS has no mid tenn reps on their websites, so I think we're going with select sires by process of elimination. any comments. good/bad experiences with their service/people. I'm not thrilled with their selection of bulls, so I guess we'll be doing a lot of direct from the breeder semen purchases...

I have nothing but good to say about SS. The rep has been real pleasant to work with. If I ever need anything he usually has it on hand and gets it to me in a day or two. They service my semen tank at no cost to me, but I think they have a minimum purchase per year to keep it free. What breed are you looking at?

We breed Chis, but use a lot of Angus, ( which SS has a very decent selection ) Maine, and some Club, in addition to Chiangus.

*Cowgirl*":1cr1mihh said:
Apparently, semex is rezoning and will no longer be serving our area....ABS has no mid tenn reps on their websites, so I think we're going with select sires by process of elimination. any comments. good/bad experiences with their service/people. I'm not thrilled with their selection of bulls, so I guess we'll be doing a lot of direct from the breeder semen purchases...

Why not go with Genex? That is who I use.

we tried semex a lot of years ago and got messed around. So we switched to SS, and have all good things to say about them. Our sales rep is really great to talk to. He knows what he is talking about and keeps our budget in mind when suggesting the different bulls. Now we've only ever bought dairy breeds from there, so im not sure what their selection of beef breeds is like. but we were always happy with the dairy bulls that we got. I say SS all the way!! :banana:

cowman30":3hka99sd said:
*Cowgirl*":3hka99sd said:

I'm not sure that there's a genex rep here either....and their selection is comprable to SS....I guess no one carries the chis, maines, and clubs like semex does....oh well

I don't know where in Middle Tennessee that you are located but ABS has a rep in McMinnville: Thomas Mears. 300 Underwood Trail. McMinnville, TN 37110. P: 615-563-5066.

Thomas is a Gelbvieh/Balancer breeder. He had outstanding success with AI breeding my Angus cows this fall.

DrD Angus
Lascassas, TN

*Cowgirl*":2pcjtvdo said:
cowman30":2pcjtvdo said:
*Cowgirl*":2pcjtvdo said:

I'm not sure that there's a genex rep here either....and their selection is comprable to SS....I guess no one carries the chis, maines, and clubs like semex does....oh well

There is a Genex rep. His name is Pat Garrett he can get you just about any semen that you want to use. They not only have Angus, but also Gelbvieh, Brangus, Hereford, Charolais, and other breeds that are not listed on their website.

Pat Garrett
931-456-6417
1-800-333-9007 ext. 6363
[email protected]

Chi angus
http://genex.crinet.com/addedattraction ... us&lang=EN

Maine
http://genex.crinet.com/addedattraction ... ou&lang=EN

Gelbvieh
http://genex.crinet.com/addedattraction ... eh&lang=EN

Club Calf
http://genex.crinet.com/addedattraction ... lf&lang=EN

These are just a few. They have lots more you just have to ask. Not everyone lists their bull on the Genex website.

I've only had great experiences with SS, especially with their reps and customer service. Like others noted, they're particularly strong in Angus. Probably the most solid Angus bull line up in the biz. I couldn't recommend any form more highly.

I've used SS for a few years now. Good customer service and I really like the calves I get from their bulls. My only complaint is their lack of genetic diversity in their Angus roster. This may come back to haunt them since the cause of AM has been identified.

*Cowgirl*":2hrimgey said:

We don't use their semen but their rep. does service our semen tank for a fee. Great guy, very polite, efficient and represents the company well. (free cap and calendar every year also) ;-)

drpad":3him8gs3 said:
I don't know where in Middle Tennessee that you are located but ABS has a rep in McMinnville: Thomas Mears. 300 Underwood Trail. McMinnville, TN 37110. P: 615-563-5066.

Thomas is a Gelbvieh/Balancer breeder. He had outstanding success with AI breeding my Angus cows this fall.

DrD Angus
Lascassas, TN

Yep Thomas Mears is a stand-up guy. He is the ABS rep for this general area. He is who I'll be using for semen this summer. I bought my current bull from him. He stands behind his stock also. I saw this past Saturday when I attended his annual seed stock sale.

We use ABS for our nitrogen and some semen. Also use semen from SS and Genex.

Try Cattle Visions. They have a website who's adress I can't find right now. Talk to Lance if you find it they have an extensive inventory on semen for most breeds.

Select sires and Genex are both down in the southern part of middle Tennessee. The Genex lady lives in Giles County.

Latest posts