Select Sires' Angus bull Bextor

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Anyone out there know much about the black Angus bull CRA Bextor that Select Sires has in their line-up?

I saw him in a recent Select Sires ad and he has solid EPDs right down the line...no holes for what we're looking for (i.e. low birth, good growth, average milk, good scrotal, balanced carcass #'s).

I refuse to use a bull solely on his picture and EPDs so I want to hear if his calves really do come easy, if they have adequate muscling (or better), perform well, and do they have good dispositions.

Thanks!

I did a search on the AAA website and found the bull I think you are refering to. His numbers do suggest he will calve heifers very easily, his sire is proven in this area.

One thing to consider is why is Select promoting him? He is from a bull they own an interest in. A.I. studs don't always put the best bulls they can find in their line-up, they have deals on the go and use contacts they have. Nothing wrong with that, but don't think they have a corner on all the good bulls.

You posted above about Chiangus, the bloodline on this bull isn't the direction you would want to go if the Chiangus idea is what you are after.

A bull I would reccomend for that is Hoff Ultra sc 108. He will calve very easily ands throw some snap in the calves. His biggest drawback is he throws white from the 6t6 Ultra line. Not a big deal if you are raising commercial cattle, but too much white for purebred breeders. I would continue to use him except for the white he throws on some calves.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Thanks for your response, but I'm not the same Gary that asked about Chiangus above.

We are looking at "curve bender" black and red Angus bulls with average or better scrotal, average milk, above average marbling, and above average %retail product to breed to our Gelbvieh cows. We also want to moderate frame, so I don't want to use anything bigger than a 6.5 frame score.

Any suggestions on who may fit the bill here? What are your thoughts on 878 and 6I6?

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion.

If you have very strict criterion for what you want, use the AAA site and do a sire evaluation search.

I did a max 5 bw/ min 80 yw/ min 5 milk/ min 0 scrotal/ min .1 imf/ min .2 rea/ max 0 ft/ and min .25 %rp/ and 6 bulls showed up.

A couple Maximum bred bulls, a new design and a bushwacker son. 878 and 6i6 didn't reach the targets.

Jason

[email protected]

He's pretty young with low accuracy EPDs, but a good looking bull. Are you planning to AI? Are you breeding heifers? As a breed, Angus are easy calvers. If you're breeding mature cows, you can do much better with WW and muscling than 6I6 and 878. Good luck... Anyone out there know much about
> the black Angus bull CRA Bextor
> that Select Sires has in their
> line-up?

> I saw him in a recent Select Sires
> ad and he has solid EPDs right
> down the line...no holes for what
> we're looking for (i.e. low birth,
> good growth, average milk, good
> scrotal, balanced carcass #'s).

> I refuse to use a bull solely on
> his picture and EPDs so I want to
> hear if his calves really do come
> easy, if they have adequate
> muscling (or better), perform
> well, and do they have good
> dispositions.

> Thanks!

[email protected]

Yea, we breed strictly AI...we don't even have a clean-up bull. Actually we are looking to use a couple different Angus bulls this year on some of our Gelbvieh heifers and mature cows to product Balancer hybrid bulls.

In our bull market the majority of cattle producers are running small herds and either work in town or have other farming operations that don't allow them to check regularly on cows during calving season. Consequently, they are looking for bulls with good calving ease and low birth weight EPDs.

I'm always on the lookout for that unique calving ease bull (whether it be a Gelbvieh, Angus, or Red Angus)that also maintains or improves muscling and also has adequate growth. I'd love to hear suggestions of any bulls you have used that do this.

> He's pretty young with low
> accuracy EPDs, but a good looking
> bull. Are you planning to AI? Are
> you breeding heifers? As a breed,
> Angus are easy calvers. If you're
> breeding mature cows, you can do
> much better with WW and muscling
> than 6I6 and 878. Good luck...
> Anyone out there know much about

We had some Glacier Nyack calves this past spring, calves came easy although the were pretty good sized calves, definitely added muscle and were the second heaviest weaning weight calves. dun

> Yea, we breed strictly AI...we
> don't even have a clean-up bull.
> Actually we are looking to use a
> couple different Angus bulls this
> year on some of our Gelbvieh
> heifers and mature cows to product
> Balancer hybrid bulls.

> In our bull market the majority of
> cattle producers are running small
> herds and either work in town or
> have other farming operations that
> don't allow them to check
> regularly on cows during calving
> season. Consequently, they are
> looking for bulls with good
> calving ease and low birth weight
> EPDs.

> I'm always on the lookout for that
> unique calving ease bull (whether
> it be a Gelbvieh, Angus, or Red
> Angus)that also maintains or
> improves muscling and also has
> adequate growth. I'd love to hear
> suggestions of any bulls you have
> used that do this.

The best "heifer bull" we ever used was New Design 036 and we have a few straws of him left. I think 878 is going to be a good bull and if calving ease is a top priority he's probably a good one to use. We bought an 036 heifer with a 6I6 bull calf on her last fall. I'm not especially impressed with him. But I have seen some nice 6I6 bulls. So we'll see. Generally, though, a heifer bull won't give me the muscling that I'm looking for. I guess the best bull we ever used that added muscle was the ABS bull Plowman. We never were disappointed in a Plowman calf. They were born in the 80-90 lb. BW range, weaned heavy, tested well and ultransounded in the top 10% of their test group. But he's a moderate framed bull so we haven't used in in a couple of years. I've seen some of Bando 5175 calves and am anxious to get some on the ground here. We also bred a few fall calving cows to Neutron 377, but haven't seen anything by him. We were going by word of mouth and bull test reports when we used him. And there's always EXT. He's only about 2 for BW. Good luck...

> Yea, we breed strictly AI...we
> don't even have a clean-up bull.
> Actually we are looking to use a
> couple different Angus bulls this
> year on some of our Gelbvieh
> heifers and mature cows to product
> Balancer hybrid bulls.

> In our bull market the majority of
> cattle producers are running small
> herds and either work in town or
> have other farming operations that
> don't allow them to check
> regularly on cows during calving
> season. Consequently, they are
> looking for bulls with good
> calving ease and low birth weight
> EPDs.

> I'm always on the lookout for that
> unique calving ease bull (whether
> it be a Gelbvieh, Angus, or Red
> Angus)that also maintains or
> improves muscling and also has
> adequate growth. I'd love to hear
> suggestions of any bulls you have
> used that do this.

[email protected]

Thanks Frankie and dunmovin for your suggestions. I'll check out the bulls you suggested.

We do have a couple calves due this Spring by the black Angus bull New Design 878 and the Red Angus bull Cherokee Canyon that we are excited to get on the ground.

Happy Calving!

Latest posts