Select a Gaited Horse!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi out there! Know a lot of the country, especially Texas is heavy into Quarter Horses and other traditional breeds. On the other hand, having a Gaited Horse is one of the pleasures of life! They're SMOOTH!

A number of people with orthopedic or back, joint problems have found that they can still ride for pleasure and trail using a gaited horse.

We at Running Arrow Farm started breeding and raising Gaited Horses in 2001; however, my partner had owned and worked with Tennessee Walking Horses for a number of years prior.

Personally, I am concentrating on PERUVIAN PASO horses with their great, loving disposition, VERY smooth 4-beat lateral gait. Their front legs display "Termino" which is a 100% genetically transmitted "swimming" motion. "Brio" is another characteristic of the Peruvian Paso--best described as high energy, willing to please, and endurance.

Holler back if you would like to discuss the aspects of gaited horses more; appreciate any comments! Bill

[email protected]

Ringstead Ranch

Have you heard of these folks and if so good or bad? I like the look of their horses( a bit better muscled then a lot of Peruvian Pasos). Here is a link to their site.

http://www.ringsteadranch.com

We are thinking of buying RSTD Estrella del Norte and RSTD Chorizo.

Running Arrow Farm":26bnvkm6 said:
On the other hand, having a Gaited Horse is one of the pleasures of life! They're SMOOTH!

I have no doubt that is true, RAB, but one can get that same smoothness with a QH plus cow sense. I believe I'll stick to QH's. That having been said, I do admire your determination, belief in your breed, and tenacity! ;-) :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

msscamp":o28hhxl6 said:
Running Arrow Farm":o28hhxl6 said:
On the other hand, having a Gaited Horse is one of the pleasures of life! They're SMOOTH!

I have no doubt that is true, RAB, but one can get that same smoothness with a QH plus cow sense. I believe I'll stick to QH's. That having been said, I do admire your determination, belief in your breed, and tenacity! ;-) :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

True, they are smooth...

Our gaited horses are only a "sideline" to our Longhorn cattle operation. Mainly specializing in the TWH that are easy to train and sell via a major facility that we consign our offspring too for sale. The Peruvian Paso is another issue...we're not breeding them anymore, but keeping our mare for pleasure. Still have one 19 mo old filly to find a proper home for. :)

Yes - Peruvian Paso horses truly have the "cadillac" ride.
She is the only horse I've been able to ride for 6+ hours
and not be pooped out w/backache:

th_pearl.jpg

She is a real bomb-proof sweetie. We bred her last week
to this stallion from Peru:

th_anibal2003conformationnew.jpg

Next spring I'm hoping for a filly that looks just like Pearl. :D

msscamp":3m8srgeb said:
Running Arrow Farm":3m8srgeb said:

Would have to be a very, very, very smooth QH. :D

Chris

ffscj":1j1ad4ed said:
msscamp":1j1ad4ed said:
Running Arrow Farm":1j1ad4ed said:

Would have to be a very, very, very smooth QH. :D

Chris

They're are out there. Lots of smooth QH's, lots of rough rides too.

Alan

those darn quarter horses are so rough riding i can't keep my sandles on when i ride. why just the other day i fell off when he went into a lope :mad:

ALACOWMAN":3viodo3h said:
those darn quarter horses are so rough riding i can't keep my sandles on when i ride. why just the other day i fell off when he went into a lope :mad:

Wrong QH? I'm serious there is plenty of good smooth cow horses out there (QH), lots of rough rides though.

Alan

ALACOWMAN":12tq94d3 said:
Thats what makes a joke backfire when someone takes you serious my fault :p

Sorry long day and over my head.... which isn't too high.

Alan

Here's a 2005 photo of our yearling filly, "RAF Chiquita Lara" (DOB 9.6.04) NAPHA Reg. #18745. (*LEA Conquistador X RTP Ligeia.) She's 19 months old now, 13 HH, and her bay color has turned darker brown.

b87abb51.jpg
[/img]

OK Jeanne":vbvzbec5 said:
Yes - Peruvian Paso horses truly have the "cadillac" ride.
She is the only horse I've been able to ride for 6+ hours
and not be pooped out w/backache:

th_pearl.jpg

She is a real bomb-proof sweetie. We bred her last week
to this stallion from Peru:

th_anibal2003conformationnew.jpg

Next spring I'm hoping for a filly that looks just like Pearl. :D

Nices looking horses there OK Jeanne.

ALACOWMAN":zyqg0z9h said:

Yeah, I have that problem, too, Alacowman. Don't you just hate it when that happens? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before everybody sidelines their QHs' for a smooth riding Peruvian there are many things to consider. The Peruvians are very small and yes they will go all day, but that is not at all because they are more durable, just the opposite, it is because they are a lot easier on the riders so the riders just sit on em' and ride the hell out of them. I have a group in my area that have these and I have trained them, they lame up quick and some lines are very prone to run-downed suspensorys ligaments because they are built very long in the pastern and have broken back axis, so stay away from those lines. In colonial times they were riding lateral gaited horses and switched to 3 gaited horses for better strength and speed to settle the West and for military purposes. It takes a better rider to ride all day on a 3 gaited horse, mainly because having to post the trot on long distances and so forth, but the horse will be much better shape at the end of the day than the average Peruvian horse, but for short rides and pleasure riding they are probably better for the average rider.

My dapple grey mare, Pearl, is 14.3 hands tall. I think she
is a tad tall for me, but then I am short. My husband's
spanish mustang is about 14 hands.

Concerning endurance riding, is it the generally accepted
theory that arabians have the edge there because of
a bigger lung capacity?

When we go on 10+mile trail rides, my Pearl is hardly
sweating while the mustang will be lathered up...and both
are basically in the same condition. Plus hubby is worn
out unless we go at a dead walk & I'm fresh as a daisy
because of Pearl's smooth gait. Of course, she would be
no good at roping or cutting...those are QH specialities.

I learned to ride on my dad's plow horses--then later
on his bull dogging horse, speck the appy....bouncy, bouncy!!
So, if it takes a "better rider" to ride all day on a 3 gaited
horse, you can have it!!! I'll call myself an "average" rider,
stick with Peruvian Pasos, and be healthier for it!! I've
had severe back trouble in the past and want no more of it.

ALACOWMAN":vwjpaxc2 said:

Okay I'm back and awake now... I read "sandles" as saddle. Yesterday I had gated cattle, the fence went down and spent most of the day trying to get one to go through the gated.

Alan

some of the shorter coupled QH's can be a little rougher to ride. but alot of it is the rider not in sync with the horse. you see alot of horsemen able too ride about any of them and make them look good .you just cant set on a QH and ride like a gaited horse.

Peruvians do have a lower partern than other breeds so comes the lameness issue. We have paso fino's. They are typically smaller than the peruvian but have not termino and an equally smooth ride. I have one stallion who is about 14.3, which is tall enough for me.The size is one thing that holds them back but they are becoming very popular with the coon hunters in the area for that reason. The shows aired on Television are more harmful than good as they only show the show stuff and none of the versatility of the breed. I look at horses like vehicles, it just depends on what you need to do as to what you drive. Some times you might need a dually and then again you might want to take the sports car.

Latest posts