Select a Gaited Horse!

Help Support CattleToday:

Alacowman wrote:
those darn quarter horses are so rough riding i can't keep my sandles on when i ride. why just the other day i fell off when he went into a lope

For a minute there I thought we had the sequal to Brokeback mountion...........Lonesome Doug on line with us.

QH'S and cattle go together.. think about it say you got a calf high tailing it across a pasture you gonna need a horse to put you on it pronto. hard to do on a gaited horse. my uncle had a ol horse named peanut ugly little cow horse run as hard backward as foward and spin like a top blind in one eye had a big scar on his hip where a bull drug him. i seen my uncle ride him all day then pull the saddle off and take a running go off 20 foot river bank into the water for a swim when you got on that sucker you better be a cowboy. he was open for business :cboy:

I have a paint that is out of a QH mare and he is really smooth. My wifes boss raises Fox Trotters and he is as smooth as they are. They are training one to rope so I will get to see how that goes. Look up http://WWW.conwayvet.com

i like the peruvian pasos but for a smooth ride i'll stick to my walkers,one of my stallions can work cattle,side pass,roll backs,and jump,and go to a sat. nite show,do the flat walk,running walk,and canter and come away with a blue,have just started riding him side saddle just because,sarah :D

Chiquita - a 4 yr old peruvian paso:

chiquita.jpg

I like the bay color - but really the dapple grey is my
favorite. I had to cut her tail off because she kept
stepping on while backing out of a trailer.

This front shoulder view is more true to color....more
reddish than brown:

DCP_3071.jpg

hayray":uamj3fbn said:
Before everybody sidelines their QHs' for a smooth riding Peruvian there are many things to consider. The Peruvians are very small and yes they will go all day, but that is not at all because they are more durable, just the opposite, it is because they are a lot easier on the riders so the riders just sit on em' and ride the be nice out of them. I have a group in my area that have these and I have trained them, they lame up quick and some lines are very prone to run-downed suspensorys ligaments because they are built very long in the pastern and have broken back axis, so stay away from those lines. In colonial times they were riding lateral gaited horses and switched to 3 gaited horses for better strength and speed to settle the West and for military purposes. It takes a better rider to ride all day on a 3 gaited horse, mainly because having to post the trot on long distances and so forth, but the horse will be much better shape at the end of the day than the average Peruvian horse, but for short rides and pleasure riding they are probably better for the average rider.

you have made some good points here. i think i will stick with my quarter horses thanks. but i have always wated to ride a gaited horse, just to feel the difference.

ALACOWMAN":3n3igswi said:
QH'S and cattle go together.. think about it say you got a calf high tailing it across a pasture you gonna need a horse to put you on it pronto. hard to do on a gaited horse. my uncle had a ol horse named peanut ugly little cow horse run as hard backward as foward and spin like a top blind in one eye had a big scar on his hip where a bull drug him. i seen my uncle ride him all day then pull the saddle off and take a running go off 20 foot river bank into the water for a swim when you got on that sucker you better be a cowboy. he was open for business :cboy:

Cattle go good with Florida Cracker horses too. In fact, with a barn full of QH's and 2 Crackers, the Crackers are the obvious choice day in and out over the QH's. Problem is you can't rope anything very big with them. They're just small horses, but they never let you down in a sticky situation. If I am not mistaken the Cracker Horse descended from Spanish Peruvian via the early explorers. More popular down here today is to cross the Quarter with Cracker. Hoping to gain size, while keeping the gait, endurance and heart of the Cracker.

hayray":k1wn5cob said:
Before everybody sidelines their QHs' for a smooth riding Peruvian there are many things to consider. The Peruvians are very small and yes they will go all day, but that is not at all because they are more durable, just the opposite, it is because they are a lot easier on the riders so the riders just sit on em' and ride the be nice out of them. I have a group in my area that have these and I have trained them, they lame up quick and some lines are very prone to run-downed suspensorys ligaments because they are built very long in the pastern and have broken back axis, so stay away from those lines. In colonial times they were riding lateral gaited horses and switched to 3 gaited horses for better strength and speed to settle the West and for military purposes. It takes a better rider to ride all day on a 3 gaited horse, mainly because having to post the trot on long distances and so forth, but the horse will be much better shape at the end of the day than the average Peruvian horse, but for short rides and pleasure riding they are probably better for the average rider.

:roll: What a load of BS you are shovelling there hayray!! For such a weak lame breed of horses it is funny that at the finals of last years competitive trail riding out of over 43 horses 2 of the top five were Peruvian. As you well know in order to finish a race your horse has to be fit and checked by a vet at each check point or you can not continue. Each vet that checked the Peruvians said they were amazed at how strong and fit they were and that the horses could have been ridden faster if the riders were up to it. Give a call to Ringsted ranch in AB and ask them why they chose to use a weak, lame breed of horse to work cattle all day? hayray there are poor horses in every breed just ask dun. You can't make statements like yours based on just the few you have dealt with. Horses that from your own admittance had dumb a$$ owners which more then likely had poor horses to start with.