seen the bird that skewers grubs

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
apparently they can catch them to eat but cant hold them or something.

they catch the grub/grasshopper/whatever and impale it onto barb wire points to eat it...ive got thousands of em on my wire. some of em got the heads eaten off..some of em are still whole and some of em partially eaten...very strange

my buddy ..a bird watcher..came over and told me what it is..a caracara or something its called

if i could get some pics to post on here id show ya...but i cant do it from work

gary

I thought the caracara was the mexican eagle. Shrikes, phoebes and eastern kingbirds do the barbwire deal too.

We have a type of shrike (colored much like a mocking bird, but shaped differently) in our area that does the same thing. I've been told sticking the bugs on barbed wire is their way of saving for later what they find when they aren't hungry. Traditionally they used saw briars or small sharp twigs but have adapted to the barbed wire. Interesting to me.

farmwriter":28crmrps said:
We have a type of shrike (colored much like a mocking bird, but shaped differently) in our area that does the same thing. I've been told sticking the bugs on barbed wire is their way of saving for later what they find when they aren't hungry. Traditionally they used saw briars or small sharp twigs but have adapted to the barbed wire. Interesting to me.
I think it's a loggerhead shrike that's marked like that

ah...maybe right...could be confused about the name....we got alot of those shrikes i believe tho

yer right bout the mexican eagle thing

i didnt hink it was that common cept to fl...huh...how bout dat

dieselbeef":943pgdna said:
ah...maybe right...could be confused about the name....we got alot of those shrikes i believe tho

yer right bout the mexican eagle thing

i didnt hink it was that common cept to fl...huh...how bout dat
Around here we have a lot of the eastern kingbords. It seems like each one will stake out a section of fence and load it up with grubs, hoppers, beatles, ciccadas, etc.

quote="highgrit"]We call them Butcher birds, imagine that.[/quote]
That's what we call em too.

Latest posts