seems too early

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 95. Southwest wind between 15 and 20 mph.

april 1st and already 95 degrees.
both tanks are still dry and the pasture looks like it's been grazed hard, but hasn't had cattle on it in a year
can't wait for summer

Was talking to a neighbor who owns /operates orchards here. He said everything, apples,peaches,cherries were approx. 6 weeks ahead. We had 1.5" rain last weekend and with the temp. and wind you wouldn't know it.

fitz

Cross 7, I forget exactly where you are but have you gotten any rain at all? Our daughter who lives near the Panhandle has been getting a little. Things looked pretty green when I was up there a couple of weeks ago.

The weather is crazy here. 60's in the morning, 80's during the day.

chippie":32jd90du said:
Cross 7, I forget exactly where you are but have you gotten any rain at all? Our daughter who lives near the Panhandle has been getting a little. Things looked pretty green when I was up there a couple of weeks ago.

The weather is crazy here. 60's in the morning, 80's during the day.

very little in dickens county since jan 1st and not much before then.
we don't have any deep moisture and when summer rolls in we are going to be in trouble if it doesn't rain.
here a link you can click and see the precipation totals http://www.mesonet.ttu.edu/preciphistory.html

Just finished getting 4 inches overnight and today....Have now gotten more rain year to date than all of last year.

just read what i posted and it sounded like i was complaining, but i'm not.
it's just a little 160 acre place so i'm not depending on it, but i do feel for the the others in this area that are needing rain/grazing.

These crazy warm temps has everybody thinking we're going to have another brutal summer! I hope we at least continue with the rain we've been receiving the last month.

Commercialfarmer":1sy4pb89 said:
yep, its scaring the heck out of me. If it keeps this up, I may need to look closer at Canada.
i just spent week in sw ok
it's looking better up there since the rain y'all had at the first part of last week.

Don't know exactly how much rain we've received since 1/1/12 but have got plenty. Seems every weed seed that ever hit the ground the last 10 years has germinated adn bloomed. Never seen so many weeds in my life. But crops look good, pastures are deep in grass and tanks are full of water. Just not a lot of cattle around to take advantage of it. Saw one man cutting a field of oats last week and talked to another fellow that was trying to get someone to cut his. Best price so far was $26 a roll for cutting and baling.

We've had about 8 inches since the first of the year. Thank you, Lord. I just hope we keep getting an inch or two a couple times a month at least until June. Then I'm gonna cut and bale everything that's green - including the road if I have to. Sure is good to see them cows pick up some weight and everything green.

Last year it wouldn't even cloud up when the idiots called for rain....this year the mere mention of the word and it rains 2 - 6 inches.....Already have had 1/2 a years total rainfall this year....in 3 months. One extreme to another but grass and weeds out the wazoo

ALACOWMAN":1073ujgj said:
mosquito's big as your fist,, bumble bee's, and wasp's

Same here. Mosquito swarms were so bad yesterday I quit working on the flood plain. The bees killed a horse last week. http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/bees-kil ... 67955.html

Weeds so bad I have already had the pastures sprayed. The weeds were in bloom so may I got them before they went to seed.

backhoeboogie":8zn4s8tr said:
ALACOWMAN":8zn4s8tr said:
mosquito's big as your fist,, bumble bee's, and wasp's

Same here. Mosquito swarms were so bad yesterday I quit working on the flood plain. The bees killed a horse last week. http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/bees-kil ... 67955.html

Weeds so bad I have already had the pastures sprayed. The weeds were in bloom so may I got them before they went to seed.
our wild buttercups are in bloom now, they usually bloom in may ..and die in the june heat

Latest posts