Seems The ban Is Lifted

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez

Reaction score
U.S. federal appeals court overturns ban on imports of Canadian cattle

Canadian Press

July 14, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal appeals court Thursday overturned the ban on imports of Canadian cattle despite a lower court's ruling that renewing the imports could spread mad cow disease in the United States.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture was not immediately available to comment on when it would allow renewed imports of Canadian cattle, which were banned in May 2003 after a cow in Alberta was found to have mad cow disease.

The unanimous decision by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturns a Montana judge who blocked the USDA from reopening the border in March, saying it "subjects the entire U.S. beef industry to potentially catastrophic damages" and "presents a genuine risk of death for U.S. consumers."

The judges said they would issue another ruling soon explaining their rationale.

The decision came a day after the Justice Department urged the appeals court in Seattle to reopen the border to imports. Justice Department lawyer Mark Stern said lifting the ban is based on "good science" and would not result in the "infestation in American livestock."

During the hearing, the three judges suggested that U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull perhaps should have given deference to the USDA's decision.

Judge Wallace Tashima said the law "does invest the secretary of agriculture with a certain amount of discretion." Judge Connie Callahan agreed, saying the USDA is "entitled to some deference. It's their whole job to keep up with the science to make those decisions."

American Meat Institute president Patrick Boyle said the industry will be able to resume cattle shipments quickly.

"Feeders in Canada and packers in the United States, working with our respective governments, had planned to begin importing those live cattle effective March 7," Boyle said. "A lot of the preliminary work is already done. I think you'll see the industry move quickly."

Mad cow disease is the common name for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE. People who eat meat tainted with BSE can contract a degenerative, fatal brain disorder called variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, or vCJD. More than 150 people died from it following a 1986 outbreak in the United Kingdom.

I expect the legal beagles will be working over time tonight - on both sides of the issue.

I personally do not expect things to transpire very quickly despite comments in the article.

Bez

In my opinion, I won't believe this until the first bovine is moved across the border. shouldnt have tooken this long but...

Bez":2epboxjl said:
I personally do not expect things to transpire very quickly despite comments in the article.
It won't take a truck backing up to the chute in Canada for the Chicago "cattlemen" to act quickly. :(

branxchar&charx":3vr35s3w said:
In my opinion, I won't believe this until the first bovine is moved across the border. shouldnt have tooken this long but...

This is far from over...R-calf still has options.

frenchie - what does this mean when it comes to the hold back animals - I'd love to dump mine - sorry i entered into it.

Like I said - I am sure the lawyers on both sides are charging for overtime tonight.

Bez

Bez":12yj6mas said:
frenchie - what does this mean when it comes to the hold back animals - I'd love to dump mine - sorry i entered into it.

Like I said - I am sure the lawyers on both sides are charging for overtime tonight.

Bez

May be wrong Bez.. But I think you can dump them check with your Gov,t ag rep.

I,m glad I never did enter into that set-aside program.

Lies travel like wildfire, but the truth takes years to surface. The world expert on BSE had a meeting scheduled with then Sec. of Agriculture Ann Venneman, but it had leaked out that he was planning to tell her that there are probably over 200 BSE cattle in the US, based on the odds that cause the disease to naturally appear spontaneously in every few million cattle. THe meeting was cancelled immediately, and the US continued to do it's own testing, with stiff fines against anyone who did their own.
Eventually the science gets around to being heard, and it's clear that no one gets CJV from eating a few infected cattle. In Europe, millions ate a lot of BSE cattle for many generations before a few dozen cases of CJV appeared, not all of them from eating BSE cattle. The meat in europe was far more likely to have BSE, because animal meal was being fed to animals for a much longer time and much more intensively than in North America. It's out of the hands of the US government to keep the borders closed, once the science is in, and all the lies, politics and selfishness have been sifted out.