Seeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
I am about to seed my newly disced pasture with Bermuda. Do I need to use an expensive (to rent) seeder, or can I get buy with just spreading the seed? I am only going to be seeding about 5 acres, so the cost to rent a seeder, does not seem worthwhile to me. On the other hand, if it will make a big difference on how it comes up, I will do it.

Tim

I did what you are proposing hard seeded ~ 5 acres (annual rye (70%), perrenial rye (15%), pasture grass(15%)) then used a light harrow to smooth out and cover some of the seed. We planted about 2 weeks ago, nothing is up yet (we've had rain, but also it's been cold) so no surprise there.

We did get a lot of birds a few days later, hopefully they only picked the seed that was exposed.

You can do it by hand. Just put seed on at half the desired rate. Go north and south the first time, then east and west the second. I'd recommend a cultipacker or something after the seed is down to improve germination.

I went out today and walked the fields we seeded, as I mentioned above. The birds are still out there but the grass is stating to come up.

By the way I applied about 150 pounds of the mixture I posted above. We were told to use annual rye to help get the perennial rye and pasture grass established, since annual rye is less expensive.

Latest posts