Seeding pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We've got a 50 acre pasture divided into 4 lots with 29 cows on it. It's all river bottom. Can we seed with the cattle on it? If so what is the best way? Thanks

Seed with fescue? Clover?

I would no-till drill but make sure it's dry.

tncattle":3ccg4f42 said:
We've got a 50 acre pasture divided into 4 lots with 29 cows on it. It's all river bottom. Can we seed with the cattle on it? If so what is the best way? Thanks

My question would be are you planning to leave the cattle on it after seeding? If so no point in seeding cause the root system will be weak and they will just pull it up as they graze. If you are going to plant it then take off for a long while I see no problem with it. Cattle are rough on grass

We're selling the cattle but they will gradually come off between now and April 30. In other words there will be some on it until April 30 but the number will get smaller over that time.

Since you have pasture divided into 4. I would put cows on 3 sections and I would just plant one section a year and keep them off that one section until the grass heads and falls over and then reseeds itself again and then use it as stock piled forage in the winter. Then plant the next one and do the same thing. You spread out cost and spread out chance of drought and 4 years will fly by quicker than you think in the cattle business. You should be ready to go full bore by the time the next market uptick hits.