Seeding mathematical question

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
how many seed is in a pound of fescue. Once you do that multiply it by 300. That gives you seed per acre of course. Then divide that back out to a sq ft. See how many seed that would be to a sq ft.

skyhightree1":2c7i8ifm said:
how many seed is in a pound of fescue. Once you do that multiply it by 300. That gives you seed per acre of course. Then divide that back out to a sq ft. See how many seed that would be to a sq ft.

Are you sewing 300 pounds to the acre? Yard or pasture?

This sounds like a how much wood could a wood chuck chuck question... I've gone to the throw as much seed as you can buy and hope it rains program...just saying.

Bigfoot":19vuiaah said:
skyhightree1":19vuiaah said:

Are you sewing 300 pounds to the acre? Yard or pasture?

I did that to a pasture a couple years ago lol

230,000 seeds per pound. X 300= 69,000,000 / 43560. = 1584

Assuming the 230,000 per pound is correct.

skyhightree1":13n1dfan said:
Bigfoot":13n1dfan said:
1584 per sq ft.

Wow that's a lot lol Thanks for figuring that up
Now sky, will your soil grow 1584 seedlings per sq ft or will they die out until they get to the proper stand. See what I was getting at. No way could that many seed live even in the best of conditions.

kenny thomas":27569u21 said:
skyhightree1":27569u21 said:
Bigfoot":27569u21 said:
1584 per sq ft.

Wow that's a lot lol Thanks for figuring that up
Now sky, will your soil grow 1584 seedlings per sq ft or will they die out until they get to the proper stand. See what I was getting at. No way could that many seed live even in the best of conditions.

Definitely see your point. :oops:

Deepsouth":3piq63vs said:
Bigfoot":3piq63vs said:
230,000 seeds per pound. X 300= 69,000,000 / 43560. = 1584

Assuming the 230,000 per pound is correct.

How long did it take you to count that pound of seed Bigfoot?

Sky, I agree with KT. Definitely overstocked.

I agree with yall this is the pasture I did that on

ResizedImage_1402456341181_zpsa2076a94.jpg

It looks good but I think that with 15lb, 20lb tops it would look as good. Controlling the weeds in a new stand is the challenge. Thats why I add 100 lb or so of either wheat, rye, oats or any annual to keep the weeds down till the grass gets started.

kenny thomas":2ilpjavz said:
It looks good but I think that with 15lb, 20lb tops it would look as good. Controlling the weeds in a new stand is the challenge. Thats why I add 100 lb or so of either wheat, rye, oats or any annual to keep the weeds down till the grass gets started.

Thanks. That's a good point. I may try that on a new stand when I get one. You are right K.T. AND DS

skyhightree1":414bkrzd said:
kenny thomas":414bkrzd said:

Thanks. That's a good point. I may try that on a new stand when I get one. You are right K.T. AND DS

Can I frame that quote? :banana: :banana:

kenny thomas":3qc8rfi3 said:
skyhightree1":3qc8rfi3 said:
kenny thomas":3qc8rfi3 said:

Can I frame that quote? :banana: :banana:

Sure can ;-)

Latest posts