Seeding and Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
I live in East Tennessee and never had to do any thinking regarding seeding and fertilizer. Dad always took care of that. I was just the application mule! So.... I'm looking for some advice.

I bought 20 acres... has some decent grass but I know it can be better. A lot better! While I wait on the soil samples to come back:

1. Is now a good time to seed clover? If so, what type?

2. Fescue, Bermuda, bluegrass (dad always let grow what God planted)????

3. Looking at liquid fertilizer. Good idea or not?

4. Is aerating a good idea?

Appreciate the help!

Clover would be better planted by frost seeding in January or February. Fescue is hard to beat as long as you dilute it with something else, like clover.. Most people really like the white clovers but we have never had much luck with them. We plant just generic red clover. No experience with liquid fertilizer, but plane old dry chemical fertilizer has worked well for us as long as we've gotten rain shortly after spreading it.

I agree with dun. Never done liq fertilizer. Commercial or chicken litter for me, although I think I've gotten weeds from the litter. As for fescue, we have alot of it, I would advise avoiding Kentucky31 or the entophyte types of rescue, because that is the only draw back with fescue that I'm aware of. I don't think aerating is ever bad as long as not done to much.I have mostly white covers and some red covers here and there

I wouldn't plant anything now. As done said frost seed some clover, and drill some fescue in the spring. You'll have your soil test back soon, you can study on it to see what you need. I used liquid fertilizer once, to see if I liked it. I didn't like it.

Bigfoot":2wk00lci said:
I wouldn't plant anything now. As Dun said frost seed some clover, and drill some fescue in the spring. You'll have your soil test back soon, you can study on it to see what you need. I used liquid fertilizer once, to see if I liked it. I didn't like it.

Quoted myself. I guess that a sign of arrogance :D Naw auto correct made Dun Done. Guess I screwed up correcting it.

I like ....Persist Orchardgrass, it was developed there in TN. However, in this area ky 31 fescue will tend to take over, eventually.
Fertilize will tend to make fescue outcompete clovers.

Banjo":22pjajyq said:
I like ....Persist Orchardgrass, it was developed there in TN. However, in this area ky 31 fescue will tend to take over, eventually.
The fescue out competing the clover is the reason we never put down more then 30# acre of N. At that amount the clover still does well and the fescue is better with it.

We have low fertility soils and our biggest aim is to get the legume content going by topdressing with what we call "Super Phosphate" which is basically P and S. White clover and sub clover are the main ones we have success with and will usually put out seed with the Super. Once the clovers get going they will usually provide enough N for our grasses. This spring the clovers have been very good so hopefull of the summer grasses doing OK now.
Ken

When you get your test back if ph is low you can start working on that right away. You will be surprised how much better you can make what you have.

dun":24d59w15 said:
Banjo":24d59w15 said:
The fescue out competing the clover is the reason we never put down more then 30# acre of N. At that amount the clover still does well and the fescue is better with it.

+1

Latest posts