Seeder vs Drill

Help Support CattleToday:

bear

Reaction score
Looking at a 10 ft. landpride PS25 seeder to plant grass. The seeder distributes seed evenly across the width of the seeder instead of rows from a drill.
I plan on spraying and working up the ground. How does the seeder work in comparison to a drill?
Bear

Depends on what you are planing on planting. I think a seeder is good for seeds that only need to be on surface or up to a 1/4 inch deep. A seed drill can go deeper and is also good for the shallow planting but usually requires the soil to be prepared first as in the drop seed type. A no-till will do either seed and does not need a prepared seed bed.

Some pastures will be planted with a pasture mix and some will be planted with meadow brome. Will a seedbed prep vs no till benefit so far as quicker and thicker grass stand, and also quicker root formation?
Bear

bear":hiaunh45 said:
Some pastures will be planted with a pasture mix and some will be planted with meadow brome. Will a seedbed prep vs no till benefit so far as quicker and thicker grass stand, and also quicker root formation?
Bear
I was raised with a farming background and was taught that you had to go the seedbed rout. I did just that. A few years back I put one in and along came a 6" rain that took away many tons of my top soil. I have converted to a no-till. I really cannot tell the difference in the forage production. Some people do both. They shallow till and then use the no-till drill. If you stop and think about it, in nature grasses seem to do pretty well with out any involvement from us.
I believe proper seed depth is the most important issue.

novatech":27evsph3 said:
bear":27evsph3 said:
Bear
I was raised with a farming background and was taught that you had to go the seedbed rout. I did just that. A few years back I put one in and along came a 6" rain that took away many tons of my top soil. I have converted to a no-till. I really cannot tell the difference in the forage production. Some people do both. They shallow till and then use the no-till drill. If you stop and think about it, in nature grasses seem to do pretty well with out any involvement from us.
I believe proper seed depth is the most important issue.
Thanks for the help!
Bear

novatech":36z28nra said:
Make sure that whar ever seedeer you get is capable of planting brome, and any other sed you may want to plant.

X2!!!

We have a Tye 2015 No-till drill, but it doesn't have the Native grasses seed box. PITA.... but it does do a good job of grain and small legume seeds. I have put Reed canarygrass through it, and might try fescue, but it won't do brome or orchardgrass.

fargus":cw8buo77 said:
novatech":cw8buo77 said:
Make sure that whar ever seedeer you get is capable of planting brome, and any other sed you may want to plant.

X2!!!

We have a Tye 2015 No-till drill, but it doesn't have the Native grasses seed box. PITA.... but it does do a good job of grain and small legume seeds. I have put Reed canarygrass through it, and might try fescue, but it won't do brome or orchardgrass.
Should do OG just fine. I used to run it through my old VanBrunt with great success

You put orchardgrass through the small seed box? Good deal, I wasn't sure it could do that. I'm tempted to try putting fescue through it, I think it would handle it, but I would need to open it up full to get the seeding rate I'm loooking for.

fargus":3bt6fvfk said:
You put orchardgrass through the small seed box? Good deal, I wasn't sure it could do that. I'm tempted to try putting fescue through it, I think it would handle it, but I would need to open it up full to get the seeding rate I'm loooking for.
Through the regular seed box just like fescue

dun":lx0qqjhm said:
fargus":lx0qqjhm said:

What did you set the opening at and to get what seeding rate?

fargus":1d5lwu57 said:
dun":1d5lwu57 said:
fargus":1d5lwu57 said:

What did you set the opening at and to get what seeding rate?
I'll have to see if I can findthe data sheet for the drill. I don;t hink I have it anymore since I sold the drill and I'm pretty sure I gave the guy all of the stuff I had for it.

Latest posts