Seed

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I recently planted 30 lbs. K31, 10 lbs Clover and 5 bags fert. to cover approx. 1/2 acre. We had a very good rain three days before and two days after planting, then two weeks of 90-100 degree weather. On the area that was lightly disc, planted and dragged I see very little growth. Another area where I just seeded the raw ground between rains the grass is growing very well. If the seed does not germinate does it just rot or will it eventually germinate and grow. I am stumped.
Tom.

Probably seeing slow growth because Fescue should be planted Sept-Nov (ideally). Doubt if it will survive in the hot temps.

Are you sure what you do have coming up is fescue or could it be just native grasses? I'm not sure about the fescue but depending on the clover, if it has a percentage of "hard seed", they might survive till fall and then sprout. Probably won't be very thick.

Did the surface get a crust from the rain? We have that problem from time to time. The seed germinates but can't push through the hard ground after a pounding rain.

On the area that was lightly disc, planted and dragged I see very little growth. Another area where I just seeded the raw ground between rains the grass is growing very well.

Is it possible the following scenario happened in the area you ran the disc. The seed sprouted. The sun dried the top layer out and the seed died. The other area would retain the moisture better.

If the one area is growing really well right now it most likely isn;t fescue. It pretty much shuts down growth after 80-85 degrees unelss you are getting nights down in the 60s

Latest posts