Seed vs. Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
We are doubling our hay ground this year by taking some of the pasture because we sold all of the cows. What would be better to seed it all or fertilize it all? We fertilized the hay field last year, but didn't do either to the pasture. Two years ago we cut the pasture once before turning livestock out on it. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Well, The chicken or the egg. Which came first?

Not going to get much growth from the seed without fertilizer. Not much use fertilizing without anything growing that can use the fertilizer.

I suspect their is some type of grass in the pasture that can use the fertilizer, even if it is thin.

What are the fertilizer/ph recommendations from your soil test. If the fertitlity/ph are marginal you may be able to get by with just seeding. If they're out of wack, seed is just a waste of moeny till you get the soil right.

I would think that if the soil is balanced then there might be some seeds just lurking and Pow! waiting for the right conditions.

ArrowHBrand":1tz3qasg said:
What would be better to seed it all or fertilize it all? We fertilized the hay field last year, but didn't do either to the pasture. Two years ago we cut the pasture once before turning livestock out on it. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Clover seed and a little fertilizer would be my choice w/o any soil test or seed bank information.

I had our soil tested last year and had a little extra fertilizer put on because that parcel didn't produce like the last owner claimed the previous year. Last year we doubed our hay crop just by fertilizing before any cutting. Also the last cutting last fall I waited until the grasshad a few seed heads on it so when we mowed, raked, and baled it would knock them off distributing some seed. This year I think we are going to fertilize again and see what kind of crop it makes.

Latest posts