Seed to deep?

Help Support CattleToday:

HanknCali

Reaction score
We have been clearing, dozing and planting several pastures that have not had anything done to them in 20+ years. We broadcasted a Dryland pasture mix after discing almost two months ago. We then ran a ring roller over the seed for coverage. I'm wondering if we put to much soil over the seed and should have used something lighter to drag over the seed? To top it off we have not had much rain this season (.25" so far) so it's possible the seed just hasn't had a chance to get started yet but we are seeing very little growth on our newly seeded pastures.
My question is what happens if you over cover new pasture seed, will it grow eventually or did we waist it?
It is possible I'm just being impatient and the seeds just need water and time but i was hoping for some better results from our labor???
Any thoughts?
Thank you

More than likely it's the lack of moisture. But if the seed is too deep it won;t come up anyway. I would be patient and wait for more rain before declaring a failure

I had the same problem with the weather, however I have no idea as to how deep the seeds were. I got a shot or rain here then dry etc. etc, and finally a 2 ½ incher, about a week later up they came.

A ring and star roller will not put your seed too deep. Lay down on the ground to get a better view of what is going on.

A series of very light rains at about weekly intervals can cause broadcasted seed to germinate and then die before the next shower. Happens here in the fall sometimes. Spring is different.

A drag is a dangerous thing. Multiple drag passes can break down the soil structure and create a powdery surface that is too dry for broadcast seed, but drilled seed will do just fine.

In my experience even if some seed has fallen too deep into crevices there will be enough near the surface to give you a good show. I think it is the lack of moisture only hope that none has germinated and then perished due to lack of follow up rain but even then you will get something when you get some better moisture and then warmer weather in spring.

Ken

you better put at least 100 lb / ac of N on all of that.. when you ripped the ground up the N was lost. I had the same problem.

Yup, probably lack of rain because you would have some seed close to the surface.
Last year during the drought it took 2 months for mine to come up.
Very little survived coming up so late in the season.

Latest posts