Seed prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
Well, I'm a little behind schedule planting this year - many honey do problems to solve. Went by the feed and seed store Friday to arrange for 60 bags of Haygrazer seed and a drill. Price quoted for the seed was $40.00/hundred!!!!! Last year I paid $12/hundred (I think). I know things are goin' up but this is crazy. Tiny tells me that it's about to get much worse because one of the major seed producers is about to shut down. Maybe I've too harsh on the hay scalpers, er, hay growers, sellin' at $85/bale and up.

I'm gettin' set for the trip to the auction barn. Got about 35 calves in the 400 to 600 pound range. We'll see what's bid. I may be feedin' all my inlaws beef if things don't go right.

So what are you folks seein' as seed prices this year?

I was also gitting ready to plant haygrazer. After what you have just said, was may have been the key word.

I wonder if the sorgums are the same way. Or even might try some Texas Tuff. One guy planted it here and made 2 cuttings last year. First one full of weeds. Maybe we could plant corn and bale it cob and all. Price of hay here $60.00 plus this past season. Since I lease pasture It is not economical to sprig.

There is one other grass that I have been looking at. It is called WW-B Dahl. They have used it a lot in the upper central Tex. area. The people I talked to say it should do well here. And it is drought hardy. Google it up, see what you think.

Backhoe; there should be some folks around your area that grow this grass. If you read this, check it out for us.

novatech":127z1f05 said:
I was also gitting ready to plant haygrazer. After what you have just said, was may have been the key word.

I wonder if the sorgums are the same way. Or even might try some Texas Tuff. One guy planted it here and made 2 cuttings last year. First one full of weeds. Maybe we could plant corn and bale it cob and all. Price of hay here $60.00 plus this past season. Since I lease pasture It is not economical to sprig.

There is one other grass that I have been looking at. It is called WW-B Dahl. They have used it a lot in the upper central Tex. area. The people I talked to say it should do well here. And it is drought hardy. Google it up, see what you think.

Backhoe; there should be some folks around your area that grow this grass. If you read this, check it out for us.

Let me know what they quote you on the Haygrazer seed. In the mean time I think I will go out and look at the WW-B Dahl.

Earl,

I PM'd you a while back about rhye grass, I see its still sitting in my outbox, let me know if you have received it.

KNERSIE":cwgrbxvb said:
Earl,

I PM'd you a while back about rhye grass, I see its still sitting in my outbox, let me know if you have received it.

I am the world's worst when it comes to looking in my inbox. Yes, I got your PM and I appreciate your response. I think you might be right about how it was planted. I usually use a drill and sometimes on newly plowed dirt it will put the seed pretty far in the ground if you don't set it right. On my harvested hay field I again used a drill, a "no till drill". I'm goin' try it again this Winter on one of my hay fields. Nice photo, by the way. I've seen Rye (or Rhye) like that before in Oregon but never in my part of Texas.